19.1 Cinnamon failing, crashing, after update manager unable to upload the files out of upload manager first time

Hello every body, hope all well.
All I want to know please, how many people are having trouble with Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, this is what is happing to me, I will sort it out, I just want to know how prevalent it is.
A clean install goes well, up until the point of using update manager, at a certain point say 5, 7 min into the update manager, it stops and gives warnings and stops and closes down, the update. So there are about 84 files to install maybe a few more, and I load them a few at a time about 11, the first time I put the new kernel in, 4.15.0.54.56 instead of just leaving 4.15.0-20, but this is not the problem actually, the problem is with one of the files in update manager. after loading all manually 11 at a time I close down the Dell latitude E6540 on shutting down I get the plymouth list of files briefly doing the shutdown???, then on start I get the run around lol, a loop going from a small window, saying
( unable to launch cinnamon-session-cinnamon X session— cinnamon-session-cinnamon not found falling back to default session) then on clicking OK we go to the pass word screen then back to the blank screen with the cinnamon-session-cinnamon, window again.
Has this happend to any one else, I can not find anything alluding to it on Duck Duck go. As I say I will sort it, but its happened twice so far, I got out of it the first time by going to the grub and going from there back to timeshift. before trying to upgrade manager again. I just wonder how many having trouble??? Thank you Kindly regards dennis

1 Like

I have mot heard of it or seen it mentioned anywhere before reading this. The only problem I know about with the Updates is broken packages which is easily solved through the synaptic package manager.
When you get what you describe here is, because Cinnamon has not loaded and the only real solution to it is to do a completely fresh install and start again. It could be that your ISO is faulty and you need a fresh copy of it, or if you have 18.3 or 19, install via them and do the upgrade which is simple to do through the update manager. I would also keep to the kernel and once the update manager has completed remove old kernels via the update manager, View, Linux Kernels, when the box comes up remove old kernels. I wouldn’t remove them any before them as these are the ones that 19.1 came with and have been updated since through the updates

Hello ElectricDandySlider, Thank you, I am comfortable with all you have written, You said the ISO may be faulty, I have been thinking this, I brought this OS on the web, I will not do it again, I have found it to be this way with 3 others over a couple of years, each time I have downloaded my own from Mint site and all has gone well. I have been thinking, surely not this time. It may well be again. I do have my own 19 and like your suggestion, and yes to upgrade through update manager, I have 19 on an external drive and its works well from there. Also I will try with the IOS 19.1 one more time to see if I can what is going on, and if unsuccessful put 19 on the new refurbished laptop. Thank you for your time. It is appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have since looked at this further and still my “gut” is telling me this is the case about the ISO, as trawling through everything I can, it seems to be the only possible answer. I take it you have tried to do a repair? Personally, I reach the point where I just do a clean download of the ISO and then do a clean install, knowing that will clear everything. Naturally I have a backup my personal files on an external drive as you will.

Thank you ElectricDandySlider, I found this, and I had to reload the OS am doing it now it is upgrading through the terminal from all the information on this page, link https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=276547&p=1653390#p1653390 the information for this problem is gconf2 I had an error message E:gconf2 dependency problems-leaving triggers unprocessed and I follow instruction and did this sudo dpkg --configure -a sudo apt-get install -f it is updating now, just got this, configuring libssl1.1:amd64 then there are servics installe on your system which need to be restarted when certain libraries such as libpam libc and libssl are upgraded Since these restarts may cause interruptions of service for the system you will normally be prompted on each upgrade for the list of wervices your you wish to restart. all necessary restarts will be done for you automatically so you can avoid being asked questions on each libary upgrade. Restart services during package without asking?.. I will hit yes. lets see what happens. Will let you know how it goes and for others to see.

2 Likes

Well I did the sudo dpkg --configure -a thing, first before I updated upgraded, all the updates went through in the terminal, until the end, then the errors all came up in long lines again, E:gconf2 dependency problems-leaving triggers unprocessed. So did the sudo dpkg --configure -a again, plus the other line and it did its thing (the terminal) and it appears all is well, I restarted it and all went very well. thanks every one. I will be a bit apprehensive for a while, I have been at it for many hours before finding all your help. Thanks to all.

1 Like

I have been using Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon for several months and it has been faultless. No crashes, no abnormalities. Just perfect. Not much help to you I’m afraid.

1 Like

Thats wonderful, I wonder what computer you are using older one, or newer one, and make. thank your for your comment and reply.

1 Like

Is this now solved @Lennox ? If so can you mark it as such or I can do it for you, so it helps our community. By the way I have noticed there is a Version 2 of 19.1 ISO so if you are using an older version, version 1 when it first came it, it might be worth getting the new one from the main repository not a mirror.

1 Like

I had all kinds of problems with mint 19 19.1 all I had to do was get an update wham
problems then looking on net for a fix after so many fixes I quit and went back to mint 18.2
so far no problems

2 Likes

If you want to describe the problems you’ve had with 19 and 19.1 in a new thread, then the community might be able to help you with them. You are okay with 18.2 until April 2021 after that you will have to upgrade to the latest version of Mint. You can do the upgrade to 19 and 19.1 now if you follow the instructions here, https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3615, but there is no need to at the moment.

Personally I wouldn’t have done as you have, but we are all different, I would have just upgraded from 18.3, to 19 and then did 19.1 from there which would have cleared any problems you might have have had.

Yes shedidit I had all kinds of problems with 19 and 19.1 same as you update problems, the problems were no google earth printers failed to work, some software would hang and not install although it said it was installed, it was not there, Just a myriad of problems, I had old windows laptop I had to use until I got another old Dell laptop and found the gconf2 problem and it sorted, sort of, But I just read ElecrticDandySlider answer, thank you, (Version 2 of 19.1 ISO) and others have no problem at all. so that may be the problem, all good ElecrticDandyslider, not sure how to close topic, and not sure if all okay yet, but if you want to close topic, no worries, thank you,

1 Like

Okay I will do that for you. Thanks for letting me know and the community. If you have any further questions please ask away and get the community help.

1 Like

Like you @cpast, so far no problem with Mint 19.1 tho I am not a heavy user with Linux. I’m in the process of switching from Windows to Linux.

1 Like

I tried after having problems from upgrading to downloading mint 19 and then downloading mint 19.1 so had disk for each one and still problems so no thanks
don’t want to try 19 or 19.1 again thank you

Without you saying exactly what those problems are, I can not help further. If you have checked the ISO and are using v2 of 19.1 then there isn’t a problem with with updating. Nor could I find any problems with 19 updating which weren’t solved by a refresh or simple fix broken packages. I tried to recreate problems with updating and have none in 18.3. or 19. or 19.1 nor with upgrade from the first two, to the last one. Each time doing system restore point with time shift which is required. Nor could I find any specific mentions on the Mint sites.
I have with further research found this : https://www.fosslinux.com/8782/fix-broken-linux-mint-updates-due-to-the-broken-packages.htm which covers some solutions and are easy to follow . If these don’t work then as I have said without knowing exactly what the problem you are having is I can’t help further. I doubt others could either although they might try

1 Like

I wonder ElectricDandySlider if she/he is having the same problem I had, Although I have not had time to fully follow through with it yet I have not updated all the updates only some, I expect the new Kernel is ok to update, but with the link you provided above and I have saved, I may have the courage to go ahead and let it do its thing, and see what happens, I really do think I may have a corrupted OS disk, so will only download from Linux Mint designated site in future if I have to, I did some time ago purchase two Debian USB sticks at a higher price, and they would not install but a Debian OS from the designated site worked first time. I ended up formatting the usb’s. I did think I was supporting Linux Mint but it is better to down load from site and give a donation, rather than buy ready loaded OS CD from web. When I first started Linux Mint a few years ago, I did have big problems trying to explain my problem to forums so I give up asking and plodded along, but this is the best community question and answer I have been able to join, the answers are not judgemental but helpful thank you all

2 Likes

That is a nice reply. We aren’t judgemental on here, (although we are human and get things wrong occasionally) just here to help which is why we ask for as much information as possible. By giving that we can see where to start. If you update the kernel through update manager, you’ll be okay with it, just do a timeshift before doing so and remember to remove old kernels as well. I have not had any problems with doing it this way, timeshift is always your friend as you can roll back if things go wrong

4 Likes

Timeshift already has save me. Not from a Linux error, but one from me.

2 Likes