20.04 upgrade not available in Canada

Hi everyone, I’m in Canada and my software updater still does not show the upgrade to 20.04 ?

Specifications

-> Output of inxi -Fxz here!
-> Output of dmesg_*.log here!
-> Output of dmesg-err_*.log here!

First, install dependencies:

-> apt update
-> apt install -y dnsutils traceroute hping3 netcat tcpdump

-> ip a
-> ip route
-> traceroute 8.8.8.8
-> nslookup example.com

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Software title | (E.g. Nextcloud)
  • Software version | (E.g. softwarename -V)
  • Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated?

Steps to reproduce

Expected behaviour

Actual behaviour

Extra details

Could you please fill out the template I appended to your post?
Then we can assist you much better.

Hi Akito,

Sorry Akito I forgot to use sudo, now all the steps are done but just checked updater and still no mention of 20.04

Not sure if you know this or not - but all “update” does is sync to latest in apt database… it doesn’t upgrade any software (it’s confusing I know, because in Red Hat land “yum update” [and maybe even “dnf update”] does upgrade packages [and even kernel] to latest in repos).

Here’s how I upgraded to 20.04 (from 18.04.4)

1. “sudo apt update”
  2. “sudo apt upgrade”
  3. “ssh 0” (ssh to my localhost where “0” is shorthand for “127.0.0.1” - but it’s actually 0.0.0.0 - kinda the same thing) to find out if I need to reboot (it will tell you if you need to reboot) - note : I ALWAYS install “openssh-server” on desktops - one of the first packages I install - I don’t see why it can’t be default. Reboot if it tells you to…
  4. “sudo apt dist-upgrade” (it may already be at latest)
  5. sudo do-release-upgrade -d” - can take hours (in my case? about 1-2 hours) - note the “-d” forces it to upgrade to 20.04

I’m kinda making the assumption you want to upgrade 18.04.x LTS to 20.04 LTS.

Above should also work going from 19.10 to 20.04… I don’t know about any intermediates (e.g. 18.10 or 19.04 - but they’re out of date and EOL, and you may have to change your /etc/apt/sources.list to use the “oldversion” repositories - can’t remember the exact URL).

I’ve done 3 so far, desktop upgrades from 18.04.4 to 20.04, these were relatively fresh installs of 18.04… and not encountered any issues…

2 Likes

HI, Dan, with the info you sent I am now upgraded to 20.04 from 18.04, it went well, Thank you.

1 Like