Another Simple Question

@easyt50 there have been a few discussions about backup/recover methods here. i will link some of them for you in case they might be of interest.

timeshift (description in the first link below) is the main one i use because it has a nice gui that guides the user through the process. using it daily and trying to understand it helped me get a better idea about how to begin to use the rsync command to make some other single folder backups for myself. it can do (to a degree) two of the things you listed: restore the /root and recover the /root. it does this by keeping track of system changes (much like system restore in windows) and allowing the user to revert to a previous state if some recent change makes the system unstable or unusable.

clonezilla is less new user friendly, but has the ability to make a copy of your entire system in case something really bad like total hard drive failure happens. i use it about once a month as a sort of backup for my backup.

i added the last link to a discussion of borg backup because it has a good explanation and also sounds very helpful. i have not used it myself, but it comes highly recommended by another community member :slight_smile:

https://teejeetech.in/timeshift/

3 Likes