Any FreeBSD users here?

I don’t dual boot anything… with bare metal installs, it’s the only O/S on that machine / hard drive… so MBR/GPT isn’t usually an issue for me…

Before embarking on my recent checkout of GhostBSD - I took a look at it using VirtualBox first… worked okay… so I tried it on bare metal… Thinkpad W500, and a Gigabyte Brix “NUC”… I probably won’t use it for much - but it makes for a decent terminal experience on the W500’s 1980 x 1200 15" display - I used it recently to do some work - but I relied on a remote connection to a Ubuntu PC for VPN client to my Office WAN - it was hard enough to get Checkpoint VPN client working in Ubuntu - wasn’t going to even consider that on BSD…

I barely use the Brix - so offered it to my daughter - but she won’t try Linux (never mind BSD!) - so I’ll have to install Windows 10 on there for her… I did investigate getting it working as a Hackintosh - but that’s way too much work!

1 Like

after reading the itsfoss article about NomadBSD (based on FreeBSD), i decided to give it a spin. it comes with openbox and gparted says the usb was written with ufs which i hadn’t heard of previously. it was interesting until i tried to update and that locked everything up and made it mostly unusable on reboot. i will have to rewrite the image and take another look.

I thought I had seen a review of on Distrowwatch - you may care to look at it first before doing anything more with- https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180813#nomadbsd
I often look at the reviews on there along with any on Its Foss if there is one, before trying something.

1 Like

I just switched from MX-Linux to FreeBSD and I love it. Linux is fantastic, but most of my stuff involves the internet and FreeBSD leaves Linux in the dust when it comes to the internet. If I were doing a database or record keeping, I definitely would have stayed with MX-Linux. I spend a lot of time on social media and I do a lot of internet searches. My download and upload speeds are super-fast while FreeBSD updates are very slow compared to Linux.

3 Likes

I’m using FreeBSD and running Chromium, Cliqz Internet, as well as Firefox and all three work well for me. I am using the latest version of FreeBSD, if that information helps you. Be well and best wishes.

3 Likes

NomadBSD is wonderful at installing the FreeBSD system.

3 Likes

one of these days i want to take another run at getting a desktop environment to work on freebsd. i will probably try that in a virtual machine to give myself more time to think things through in case they don’t go as planned. if you have any words of wisdom in that regard, i would be happy to hear them.

it has been a while since i used mxlinux, but think i recall that it used xfce. did you add that to your freebsd or try something else?

2 Likes

The best way to experience FreeBSD is to install NomadBSD. It is a cakewalk to install. It identified all of my equipment and it runs beautifully.

1 Like

thanks for the suggestion sir - shall check it out… cheers

Well I did check it (NomadBSD) out - and it’s pretty goshdarn awesome I must say! The OpenBox desktop looks 10,000x more elegant than the Hasbro/Mattel Toy feel of RPi foundation’s “Pixel” implementation of LXQT on OpenBox (which I don’t use - I use XFCE on RPi).

Running it through its paces right now on my normally Windows10 work laptop (Dell Platitude E7450) and it’s quite snappy… Going to give it a whirl on a “modern” Lenovo laptop I keep at home (yet another corporate SOE/MOE for work) - and maybe even try it on my ancient Lenovo Stinkpad W500 - as it seem pretty “lite”…

1 Like

I’m not advocating for BSD, and even this article is not necessarily doing that, just offering an interesting argument for BSD VS GNU/Linux :

(found on http://hackaday.com/ )

1 Like

Quote from article above “When software gets bloated it not only becomes more insecure and more error prone, but it also becomes much slower.” Pissed myself reading this article :crazy_face: :joy: :wink:
Hey Dude and Linus-T meet mini-Trisquel and lets play find the boat - sorry bloat - :grinning: :smile: :laughing: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :wink:
temp2crop-01
Guess I will be giving BSD a wide berth - excuse the pun :wink:

Hey guys - guess what - itsFOSS have reviewed it - bet it differs from DistroWatch review - I would put money on it :heavy_dollar_sign: :dollar: x 100 :honey_pot:
Psssssssst - any used RAM figures - 280MiB ring any :bell: :bell: :bell: :thinking: :wink: