Audio selection on booth up in ubuntu 22.04 with HDMI connected monitor

I expected to see more cards (probably with an inactive profile, but still present), including the HDMI provided output from
pactl list cards
Are you sure you pasted here the whole output?
The rest seems OK, I’m investigating it…

1 Like
this is all.device.description = "Built-in Audio"
		module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
	Profiles:
		input:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Input (sinks: 0, sources: 1, priority: 32833, available: yes)
		output:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Output (sinks: 1, sources: 0, priority: 39268, available: yes)
		output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Duplex (sinks: 1, sources: 1, priority: 39333, available: yes)
		off: Off (sinks: 0, sources: 0, priority: 0, available: yes)
	Active Profile: output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
	Ports:
		analog-input-mic: Microphone (type: Mic, priority: 8700, latency offset: 0 usec, availability unknown)
			Properties:
				device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone"
			Part of profile(s): input:analog-stereo, output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
		analog-output-lineout: Line Out (type: Line, priority: 9000, latency offset: 0 usec, availability unknown)
			Part of profile(s): output:analog-stereo, output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
ray@ra

y-laptop:~$

1 Like
device.description = "Built-in Audio"
		module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
	Profiles:
		input:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Input (sinks: 0, sources: 1, priority: 32833, available: yes)
		output:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Output (sinks: 1, sources: 0, priority: 39268, available: yes)
		output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Duplex (sinks: 1, sources: 1, priority: 39333, available: yes)
		off: Off (sinks: 0, sources: 0, priority: 0, available: yes)
	Active Profile: output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
	Ports:
		analog-input-mic: Microphone (type: Mic, priority: 8700, latency offset: 0 usec, availability unknown)
			Properties:
				device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone"
			Part of profile(s): input:analog-stereo, output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
		analog-output-lineout: Line Out (type: Line, priority: 9000, latency offset: 0 usec, availability unknown)
			Part of profile(s): output:analog-stereo, output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
ray@ray-laptop:~$
1 Like

Let’s try something!

Open a terminal, and gain root rights.
Maybe you can do this with pressing ctrl-alt-T (opens the terminal) and issue command sudo su

It will ask your password.

After that, open default.pa for editing in nano:

nano /etc/pulse/default.pa

Now, navigate to find this section:

Note, that those settings are commented.
Add the following:
set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_01.1.hdmi-surround

So that this part will look like:

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input

set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_01.1.hdmi-surround

That instructs Pulseaudio to use the HDMI sink as the default output.
Hopefully that’s it.

Save your edit: press ctrl-X (that exits nano), nano will ask wether you want to save your changes: of course answer Y (yes).
Reboot, and see how it behaves.
Let me know how it went, did this work, or do you get some malfunction?

That did it Laszlo, many thanks for taking the time to work with me on this, also want to thank itsfoss community I learned a lot through this problem solving.All the help and tips is appreciated.

2 Likes

GREAT!!! :clap: :star_struck:
I’m glad that works for you!

You are most welcome! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @raymond,

It would be nice to mark reply #24 by @kovacslt as the solution. This would also close this problem.

Glad your problem is solved.
Howard

3 Likes

(And also to edit the title and first post, to correct various instances of ‘booth’ that should be ‘boot’. /pedant)

#ProTip: sudo actually supports a -s / --shell flag, for obtaining a root shell. So you can just run sudo -s (aka sudo --shell), to be dropped into a bash prompt as root.

Howard, I’m very sorry about all this I have been hospitalized and did not have the time to do this.also I did thank everyone who helped on this problem, especially Laszlo. But I must admit that I don’t know how to officially close a ticket on this forum, it’s not clear to me, you could possibly point me in the right direction.Again many thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Raymond,

Sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. I hope you are doing Okay now. It was nice of you to thanked the people who replied and try to help with your question / problem.
Oh, I just looked and see you mark it solved.

Thanks and have a good day.
Howard

2 Likes