Best computer to use for Linux?

After 10 yrs of dual booting and erasing windows from laptops I finally broke down an bought a Dell XPS 13 with Ubuntu installed as the original OS. I do NOT regret my my decision. So I now believe in buying computers with Linux already installed. Support the cause kinda thing. My days of buy windows computer and turning them Linux are over. Support Linux by buying Linux.

1 Like

Reading your message rather late , I maintain that any Windoze PC/Laptop,can run Linux
The Dell XPS13 is just any laptop and Dell either installs Windows or Ubuntu on exactly the same machine . Whether you buy the machine with Ubuntu pre-installed or installing Linux on a Windows installed unit ,does not make any difference . In both cases you run a Linux distribution .
Usually a particular PC/Laptop seems to be more expensive with Linux pre-installed than pre-installed with Windows .
Personally I always shall buy a second hand laptop ,remove the Windows software with an external CD with Gparted , making the electro mechanical Hard drive or SSD “unallocated” ,meaning completely clean, before installing the preferred Linux distribution .
If I ever need to replace my now 12 yrs old desktop PC ,because of any hardware failure, I shall replace it with a (new) mini-pc with a more recent Intel i7 CPU from any eastern source ,removing the software it comes with .
I have done exactly that on a separate machine by removing the Chinese Windows 7 software and initially installed Linux Mint , but later installed Zorin 16 (out of curiosity)
The relevant (fanless)miniPC has a 2 core Intel i7 CPU and 8GB RAM and also has a nice integral graphics card/module . This miniPC runs on 12V-DC provided by an external power supply unit .

Frank in County Wicklow - Ireland

1 Like