/ /boot /swap .... ubuntoDDE 20.04 LTS

on Akoya - 2 x 2.1Ghz processor, - 4 GB ram, - 480 GB SSD disc, free space Sata III (6GB speed)for another disk , - no raid controller laptop press ubuntoDDE 20.04 LTS how to make disk partitions for optimal performance which format and whatever My-mi need to know. (your opinions all) Thanks

Welcome to ‘It’s Foss’ @Tony. You may get a lot of difference of opinions on partition layout. It’s kind of a personal preference. You already done a couple of the best things for speed getting a SSD and having 4GB of ram. I usually layout 5 partitions. 1) efi of about 1GB, 2) Root (/) of about 30GB 3) Swap 4GB, 4) Home 30-50 GB, and 5) One large partition of remaining disk space for saved files, backups, and maybe to encrypt. And I lay them out on the disk in that order.

I highly recommend to keep root and home in separate partitions. This allow for backups and restore to not interfere with one another. Also have a good backup - restore routine in case you need it.

1 Like

what about the statement that on ssd disks swap only confusion
500 or 10000 Mib / boot
and the rest of the disk /

1 Like

i’m not sure i understand what that part means. perhaps you could clarify?

as @easyt50 mentioned, there are lots of different opinions about and ways to partition a drive. knowing if your system is capable of uefi booting should help you decide if you need to allocate space to

after that i add a swap partition, but some of the newer versions of ubuntu and mint add a swapfile if you want to try that instead. i don’t bother creating a separate /home or /root partition, but can see how that might make upgrading easier. it just isn’t a habit i ever got into.

if your question is about having too many swap reads or writes on an ssd, i have read that it is a good idea to have an ssd swap less so i change the swappiness value of my system after it is installed.

2 Likes

Like @01101111, I’m a bit confused about what you are asking. @01101111 guessed you may be concern about swap files and SSD. Well, on both of my PC, I have a 4GB swap file allocated. But with Linux being a very efficient OS and having 4GB of Ram, my system does zero swapping. Then again, I am not a gamer / heavy user of my system. If you are concern about the wear rate of a SSD, don’t be unless the SSD is 120GB or less.

I asked @Akito for a suggested disk layout and I thought he showed a very detail / great layout of the different areas of Linux. Did I use it? No. It was very informative, but more detail then I needed as a casual user. So, it’s a personal choice / what works for you. :grin:

2 Likes