Cannot establish ssh connection to a remote computer

Hi @Akito, :wave:

thanks for your latest comments.

Uff, IĀ“ve just read the article you provided and I fear this is well beyond my capablities and that of my friendĀ“s as well. :roll_eyes:

In actual fact I installed clonezilla as a deb package right after the setup of my present system:

drbl is listed as a dependency and thus installed alongside clonezilla.

Yet IĀ“ve never had occasion to use the installed version so far. :blush:

Yes, but I was of the opinion that the system to be backed up mustnĀ“t be running. I thought that ext-formatted partitions would have to be unmounted during the backup-process. Therefore the use of the live-system. :thinking:

In post #4 you wrote:

WouldnĀ“t that imply that she needs my IP address as sheĀ“s the one to open the ssh session :question:

Many greetings.
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

You are using firejail for pretty much everythihng. If you get along with that monster, you would handle any guide like that. :wink:

You are correct. A live system ensures by default, that nothing is ever mounted, except you explicitly ask for. Itā€™s easy, because it happens by default.
However, the same can be achieved even with an installed system, but not so easily.
For example, you can have 3 HDDs in your computer:

• 1 HDD Ubuntu (Main)
  • 1 HDD (empty)
  • 1 HDD Ubuntu (Rescue)

You can boot into Ubuntu (Rescue), not mounting any of the other storage media for anything, except for backups.
Then, you could achieve the same result. However, as is obvious, having at least 3 HDDs or SSDs is not as convenient and easy as having any amount of HDDs and running a live system instead.

Sheā€™d be the one to open the first session and youā€™d open the second (ā€œrealā€) one. However, you can also let her connect to a server, letā€™s say, a Raspberry Pi, so you can also then connect to the same server and then finally connect to her remote. It would be similar to a VPN server, except without all the VPN server setup and configuration hassle.
Since she would connect to a server of your choice, you could just run an empty Raspberry Pi with nothing on it, except sshd running. So, she would not connect to your main system, but a secure side system, that acts as a simple server, which canā€™t do anything, except the SSH thing.

1 Like

What about creating a live Linux distribution with permanent file on USB disk?
One way to do it is with Ventoy. (and you can have serveral distributions, with or without permanence, on the same flash drive).
Then it sould be possible to install both clonezilla and Anydesk on this USB Linux system
and use sudo clonezilla from thereā€¦
(Everything could be done remotely, except reboot from Ventoy USB disk, connect to the wifi and install Anydesk on it)
Just a suggestion!

1 Like

Hi again @Akito , :wave:

thanks a lot of the clarification of the various topics.

Wow, thatĀ“s praise indeed. :blush:
Thanks so much. But I think firejail isnĀ“t that difficult to get along with.
Yet IĀ“ll have a closer look at the respective guide as it seems interesting indeed.

What an interesting scenario.
I see, thanks for pointing that out.

My friend uses a laptop which has - as far as I can remember - a 256 GB SSD built in.
Then sheĀ“s in the possession of a USB stick (a ventoy stick with the Lubuntu ISO and clonezilla live on it).
Furthermore sheĀ“s got a separate HDD (external USB-HDD) as a backup medium.

Anything which goes beyond that setup would be too massive to accomplish (for her at least I think :blush:)

But the scenario you described could be modified this way (I hope):

Instead of HDD Ubuntu (Rescue) the ventoy-stick with e.g. rescuezilla could be inserted and rescuezilla as a live system could be run.

I think Lubuntu as a live system would serve the same purpose but then sheĀ“d have to install clonezilla and anydesk whereas rescuezilla has everything on board except for anydesk.

Then (with rescuezilla and anydesk running) I even would have 2 possibilities of helping her (hopefully):

Either use rescuezilla natively with its onboard backup facilities
or making use of clonezilla itself.
I found on DistroWatch.com: Rescuezilla that clonezilla is listed in the package list for rescuezilla 2.2 (clonezilla 3.35.2-2 ).
I hope my train of thought is not totally wrong :no_mouth:).

Thanks also for clarifying the matter as far as ssh is concerned.

Many greetings.

Hi @silvain, :wave:

thank you very much for your suggestion.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines too (see post #24).

Yes, I think youĀ“re perfectly right.
With persistence created anydesk would have to be installed just once it would then be retained.
Thanks for the suggestion. :hearts:

But I guess that would exclude rescuezilla as persistence plugins seem to be available only for a handful of OSes (Plugin.persistence . Ventoy).
But it would work with ubuntu and some others. :blush:

Thanks again.
Many greetings.