Cannot open Terminal

Thanks Cord, I think I’ll just use Guake as it’s working and hunting a possible code error is way beyond what I can do. Guess we’ll call this ‘fixed’

you are quite welcome. i agree that sometimes just using what works is the way to go. if you feel like marking this as a solution, i would understand that as well. by my thinking, i will leave it open for now. it doesn’t happen often, but from time to time a new member will see an older post and add their own issue if they don’t realize that starting a new thread is an option.

2 Likes

I guess I spoke too soon? The guake terminal icon removed itself from toolbar overnight. I can (and have) re-opened it from menu and icon is back in toolbar but at a different position? Computer has not been re-started but was in sleep mode overnight. I don’t know if a re-start will help anything? As for re-installing, every time I’ve tried it the complete drive gets overwritten even if it shouldn’t (I guess I’n doing something wrong when re-installing?

@1crazypj, when re-installing use the “something else” option of the install. The installer will give you a map of the disk and you can select the partition(s) you want the install process to use. This should will not disturb the other info (partitions) on the disk.
As always, it’s good to have to have a backup ready to use if it is needed.

1 Like

was there something else that you wanted help with? i’m just trying to see if this was more of a statement or request :slight_smile:

i have recently noticed that a couple of my desktop icons in mint 18.3 (home and computer i think?) move when i reboot. i don’t think it affects much. it just seems odd like your guake icon disappearing.

as far as the re-start question goes, it definitely shouldn’t hurt anything.

1 Like

More of a statement, Guake seems to be working fine although I couldn’t install Timeshift from the script that was on here. The Mint repo had it though so I got it from there

When there is a lot to think about, and your unsure, there is a lot of confusion, so to turn around an forget is normal, but if you forget that your not remembering something, thats a little different.
And…Problem is, even after years of playing with Linux, I still dont know what I’m doing without having literature to read from, Is a very honest thing to say. That is my situation, same same, but no doubt we have never sat in a classroom to learn it like the computer experts, I have not found a book on Linux that can cover it all, there is no step by step guide, monkey see monkey do, is the way I learn a lot of things, that is nothing to be ashamed of, Its just a start, you go from there, I have learnt most by myself and ask questions here, this is the only place on this site/forum that is sympathetic to learners, with out any ridicule, and has a respect for learners. I have been to face book pages and asked questions, and had some very egotistical answers so have unfollowed, lol I will learn up to the very day I die, lol, nothing stopping me. lol, but gee, unfortunately I will never know enough about Linux, I am in Amateur Radio also and use Software Defined Radio, so big learning curve with this, and little about SDR for Linux, but more coming on board all the time. Thanks for your question 1crazypj.

3 Likes

The reason for that is that there are many things that you can’t just learn something by heart and that’s it. There are many things where there is a different action needed for each situation and that is where your knowledge comes to play when you try to conlcude the best solution to the current problem.

2 Likes

Hey thanks cordx, what a great informative answer, I was always wondering how to go about these files with out breaking something, Thanks.

3 Likes

you are more than welcome :slight_smile: like your previous “monkey see monkey do” statement, i learned about .desktop files on the forum for the distro (bodhi linux) that i use and that helpful knowledge has served me well. only to happy to pass it along.

2 Likes

Yes all very aware of what you write, If I were to try to write here all the things I have done in life it would not be believed, these last few years, I have spent learning electronics, I do make my own circuits, SMD, I was not aware I could learn math until youtube came along, I have been learning math for the last 15 years, believe me when I say, to solve a problem that I had no concept of a few weeks previously, when the dopamine rush hits, there is no drug on earth that compete with that. I think I seen my first real computer at age 56 and the internet was not about here until about 2005, all that, but of course there are many many people who still dont get this chance at learning. Morse code I did learn by rote but, there are some things you can learn no other way. What I have found in life, is ever thing is so closely entwined, nothing is separate. hi hi. Thank you Akito.

3 Likes

Thanks, I had a spine injury and am still on medication after about 10 years. (eventually had spinal fusion) That, and a previous accident in work (hit on the head with a 25 pound bottle jack) made my memory pretty bad for everything and learning new stuff incredibly difficult. I used to teach and could remember most names of class within a few days (about 32 per class) Although the head injury seemed pretty minor, a doctor asking me if I though I needed an MRI was way out of line in my opinion (Florida has the absolute worst working laws in the USA favoring employers above workers at all costs) What really pisses me off though, I managed to ride motorcycles for over 40 years without any major incidents (including a couple of years doing motocross) I had way worse accidents due to students screwing something up in 10 years of teaching at a trade school.
I agree with you 100% about this community it is the best one I’ve seen, I wish I had joined sooner but really thought it was for professional programmers. I tried some programming around 1980, Sinclair ZX80, cassette tape and all. Took days to do the simplest things so I gave up on it.

6 Likes

That’s impressive. I am self taught but I started on motorcycles at 11 yrs old, tried getting a psychology degree once but ended up living with the (female) lecturer ;o) She was a member of MENSA (IQ 168) Never met anyone so dumb about the real world though.
Always been bad at math but learned what I needed to do various calculations when tuning. Simple enough stuff that doesn’t need differential equations or calculus. I used to be an exceptional ‘forensic mechanic’ able to understand how things got broken and the cause just by looking at stuff, kind of idiot savant mental picture of working mechanisms even from 2D line drawings, wear patterns or crystalline patterns

2 Likes

I have a friend I met online through motorcycle forum who has been trying to get me into Ham radio for several years. I forget his call sign though? He’s in Washington state

1 Like

I should have actually set this as the solution but got carried away when it worked.

are you able to change the solution. if not, i should be able to.

2 Likes

I haven’t actually tried yet, maybe both are solutions, different terminal plus don’t mess with broken one? ;o)

well the system only accepts one official “solution” so if there is one you think would be more helpful to a user in a similar situation to the one you were in when you posted, i think that would be a good one to mark. additionally you could maybe append your initial post with the second solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

Goodness, am sorry to hear that, you must be exceptional person. I do firmly believe in Plasticity of the Brain, having seen it over the years, from a friend in a bad horse fall. He was a vegetable initially but within 10 years was walking talking and laughing plenty, but not fully normal. My Son just brought a 2011 Ktm 350 exc-f so if I am lucky may get a ride, friends at Mount Fox still do speedway and trail bike riding, Rob my mate is 4 months older than me, we are 71 years old Rob beat me by 4 months on to the Planet lol. I have has some nasty horse falls and car accidents but managed to come off scot-free always managed to stay one step ahead, 3 years ago had a aggressive malignant melanoma, seem to have come away scot-free from that also lol, the American workers, I shudder, poor people. Well I better mention my love of LInux Mint, my first pc was one some one had thrown out I soldered a tiny track the the button battery had leaked and eaten through, and got it going, that did wonders for my confidence into the technology age, lol, it was 3.1 i think, then 95, then I think 98 then xp then 7 after that it was Linux I think MATE was the first one I had, I could not believe it was free and you could put it on any machine you liked, lol. since then I have done the flirtation with Ubuntu Debian and a couple of other distros, basically all the same, the terminal commands seemed to all be the same. I have completely buggered a couple lol, the terminal can be fun but also rather destructive lol. Thanks for you reply 1crazypj, really nice to meet you.

3 Likes

I’ll wait until 19.10 comes out give it a few weeks to make sure nothing is ‘broken’ then get the latest update/upgrade

1 Like