CERN moves thousands of accelerator control computers to Debian

I feel it will be a long surviving institution. …maybe for centuries.
One of the unsung benefits of using linux is that you feel like you belong to something that is some sort of a rock in a rapidly evolving world.

IA64 died because it lacked backward compatability. AMD64 won that battle.
The business world is anti-innovation … stability is everything.
They should try their bold moves with scientific. computers … like the ibm1620 … it was radically different for its day … scientists are more receptive to change.

The decision for the correct library could be made by the package manager. Extract and install just the suitable library, and leave the two unused in the package. So the system only gets one app and one library.

Portage in Gentoo does that . You set the architecture and it compiles in links to all the right libraries. It handles v1,v2,v3.

If Gentoo does it, I think BSD ports probably does it too, because portage is based on ports..
We need Linux ports.

Did you mark my former post as a solution? I think this doesn’t match. And I didn’t mark it.

Yes, I agree, this does not make sense… The post is about CERN so there is no answer…

OK, but who did it? You as OP are free to clear it again.

Maybe another unknown automatism. My post was #62… someone™ might think that’s enough.

I didn’t know that. Fixed! And yes, it might have been some AI agent that made that decision. Even in this forum we are not sure if we are free from AI slop…

Usually earning a solution is notified. This wasn’t the case here.

No not me.
It does not show as a solution on my screen?

Maybe a system action?

Now, that the OP has cleared it. And officially he is the only one who can set/reset the solution flag.

It must be some kind of AI slop, as my post in no way contains a “solution” to the topic.

I saw the solution flag, but now the flag has been removed.
You actually think AI has invaded this forum setting flags?

I suspect not

Some discussion areas have no solution flags, not sure on debian area

Just tester it and yes they solution flag existe its hidden on the right of the screen tools

For now I assume it was a software glitch. Remember, the OP didn’t set it, and I didn’t get the usual notification. Anyway, very strange.

I just solutioned the last post by Howard just to test it, but have now removed it. Who do you think should have got the solution flag and i will try to change it. Not sure if it makes much difference but happy to try if you let me kniw.

Think this is one of those questions where there is no solution

It’s all good now. Let it be.

This post could also go under the “How are you wasting your time doing nerd stuff today?” topic.

I listen to a podcast called Linux Unplugged. But the really nerdy part is I started with episode 1 and am working my way through. I started about a year ago and have progress from episode 1 (August 12, 2013) to episode 298 (April 23, 2019).

Today they mentioned that Scientific Linux was discontinued. Which I believe, was what CERN used for many of their computers.

It’s all a big circle here.

It was RHEL based I think.?
It seemed to me to have failed because scientific institutions are poorly equipped to maintain an OS.
They might make some innovations, but then would likely fall over with the burden of maintenance.
The same thing happens with their scientific breakthru’s … they hand it over for ‘marketing’.

Yeah - I think that was unmaintained EOL quite a few years ago - and I think many users switched to CentOS which was nearly the same… Dunno what they moved to when CentOS also became EOL…
I worked at the BoM (weather bureau) and they had some RHEL desktops, and some Fedora desktops…

I’ve worked with seismologists and geologists in the past - one place they used RHEL4 (i.e. nearly 20 years ago). Last time I did any work like that was 2019 - and it was RHEL 8…