Check out my new website that helps you choose a Linux distribution

Does anyone have any suggestions? Proprietary Multimedia Codecs Support? Or Multimedia Proprietary Codecs Support? Or just plain Multimedia Support?

I was joking.

The problem is, in my opinion, the underlying topological model:

Your model is completely discreet and binary. As I see it, this is not a suitable approach for most real life decisions.

Perhaps itā€™s not a question of three words, unless the person consulting your website is already an experienced Linux user. Suppose, somebodyā€™s choice has been narrowed down to half a dozen distributions by the first questions. Then might be the time to ask:

"Would you be willing to install additional proprietary software for accessing certain hardware and displaying exotic multimedia content, though it might not be necessary in your special case?

This is a security risk which any user of closed source operating systems (e.g. Windows, MacOS) takes and so do many users of open source operating systems (e.g. Linux, BSD)."

As a general rule: Pick the people up where they stand and donā€™t expect them to come to you.

Donā€™t you want to set up your own discourse server or github account to discuss these matters?

2 Likes

Nice wish you would include Mint though :frowning:

1 Like

Speaking of that, this project should be on Github, where issues can be properly described and worked on. I think thatā€™d be pretty useful and also fancy. :wink:

2 Likes

What I had in mind was each selection adds or eliminates selection or groups that follow.

i.e. First choice box allows A, B C, D E, Second choice box allows F, G, H, I, J
IF: In box one option E is selected then the second choice box only shows G, H, and J to be offered.

Hope that cleared it up.

Also, I agree with Mina as to other issues.

2 Likes

As far as I understand a ā€œhierarchical approachā€, this is what you mean:

Divide the 96 distribution in two roughly equal groups according to a criterion.

The user chooses one of the option.

Each group of ~48 is again divided into roughly equal groups according to another (not necessarily identical) criterion.

The user makes her choice.

go on until you narrowed down your choice 1. With six or seven questions, you have your distribution.
Did I understand correctly?

1 Like

Long way around the barn but yes.

1 Like

If you say soā€¦ However, I strongly believe, that some redundancy can help to reduce errors in communication.

2 Likes

I like it - the hierarchical approach, and it will take several PHP pages to accomplish it. Have to think about the coding logic for a few days. My first time doing a hierarchical approach.

As for discord or github, I am too lazy as it would be my first time with either one and I anticipate that the learning curve could be steep and that would take precious time away from coding.

Your endeavor is a daunting one to say the least.
As you trudge through this remember, ā€œone size NEVER fits allā€.
Careful not to get bogged down in the permutations.
Good luck.
I look forward to its fruition.

1 Like

Iā€™m quite biased, but I still want to say, that I think the learning curve is pretty low. The benefits and efficiency of using Github usually quickly surfaces, even after a short time. Itā€™s a great tool with lots of possibilities, but you donā€™t have to ā€œlearnā€ anything, besides perhaps basic git commands. Even then, Github is guiding you through such steps, so not even this part will be hard to make use of.

1 Like

OS ID :43

OS NAME : LinuxMint

OS Link: https://linuxmint.com/

Version 2.0 up and live: http://www.help-choosing-a-linux-os.org/index.php

Thanks for your work on this, its realy helpful
If I was to be critical (unless I missed something) what does the selection - small, medium and large - refer to please
Great stuff

1 Like

The size refers to the space the OS takes on your hard drive. Small is for small hard drives, medium, well you know now I think.

Thanks, my fault. :+1:

1 Like

How about " Installed size on hard drive: under 1 GB, up to 10 GB, over 10 GB"

Also, ā€œInit: systemd, NO systemd, donā€™t careā€. Because some are dead set against it with religious fervor.
ā€œFits on a CD: yes/noā€. I have tons of CDs and like to give Linux installs out. Hard to find distros that do that any more.
Something about the size, age, or experience of the developers. I like to pick distros that have been around a while and will be around for another long while. Some may like to find something new or donā€™t care that itā€™s assembled from Debian in an afternoon by one guy.
Also, desktops. Choose between a few of the top ten, or ā€œdonā€™t careā€.
Also, if you say Linux, you shouldnā€™t get a BSD or ReactOS.

I use the Distrowatch search quite a bit but I donā€™t think itā€™s perfect.

1 Like

That will take a lot of manual work as I donā€™t know how to automate it as far as size is concerned. Live CDā€™s is another manual gathering of info that will take a while to collect. Some CD ISOs are not Live CDā€™s, but network install CDā€™s. I donā€™t know if I should just warn people about the CD ISO vs DVD ISO vs USB Drive ISO?

I still think that the main issue with your site is the underlying model of decision making which focusses on very static categories (tags) on one hand but leaves out the userā€™s priorities on the other.

The goal behind the site is excellent, and I would encourage you to continue refining it.

2 Likes