Create a movie on linux

First let me express, that I agree with you, it’s much more practical to have a device intended for recording. I’ve never seen a mobile phone with XLR inputs, nor SDI output. :smiley: From the “small” devices I miss the quick adjustable manual controls.

Shooting video for edit in post is not a task for the “average”.
If someone intends to do it with the purpose to edit it in post, it is acceptable to have a learning curve, where the user has to learn how to extract the footage from the device - I think.

We don’t need the “most Android apps”, just the one that shoots the video.

This is Total Commander accessing the DCIM folder, where the images and videos are stored, both from OpenCamera (which I tend to like better than the builtin) and from the builtin camera app.

TC is ready to upload anything to an FTP site from there…

This is Foldersync accessing the same folder, and currently snychronizing my previous screenshot to my WebDav

And this is Caja browsing the internal storage of my device, I can put and get files to / from there.

All this on a Xiaomi device (still unrooted), with Android 12, so it’s not quite an old system.
Beleive me, this is not my first Android device, and it was possible to reach the data I needed with all my previous devices too.

I have exactly zero experience with Apple devices, I never owned such a thing, so maybe Iphone users can be in harder situation… I don’t know.

1 Like

(Edit: Wait, maybe I misinterpreted, and you were talking about pushing from Linux to the phone. If so… “Never mind.”)

File Manager + can manually upload from device storage to configured remote services; it supports SFTP as well as SMB, WebDAV, and FTP. It’s quite good, though it’s not automated sync.

It can even do key-based authentication for SSH, if you have a private key stored on the device. (As can ConnectBot.)

Further digression (not that this entire conversation isn’t already)

The key-auth aspect is critical because, since finding some IP from Germany camped out on my home fileserver one day back in ~2008 (thanks to a weak password on a secondary account), I have PasswordAuth completely disabled in my externally-accessible server’s sshd. Even MY account can’t log in from outside the local network, without either the private key stored on my phone, or a different one I carry around on this 64MB USB stick I’ve had for almost 20 years now. (Because what else am I gonna use it for?)

If I ever lose either device or suspect its credentials have been compromised, I just delete the corresponding public key from $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys and I’m back to fully-secure.

2 Likes