Default RAM consumption

bodhi linux 5.1 (ubuntu 18.04-based) with default moksha de (an elementary fork) is about 450 mb. i just started playing with slackware 14.2 with xfce and it boots in around 250 mb.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That was my exact same reaction first time I ever tried KDE… :smiley: But even LXDE (e.g. Pixel desktop on RPi) reminds me too much of Windows XP (always remove it from RPi and leave it headless, or install XFCE)… so when I last tried KDE for any length of time, I hated the look and feel, and it seemed bloated at the same time as looking/feeling like Win95/98…

Anyway - to be fair to KDE, I did recently briefly “sample” it via KDE Neon ubuntu based KDE variant (in a VirtualBox VM)… it seemed okay… not sure about it as a daily driver… not saying no…

But all my main Linux desktops have about 16 GB of RAM… and I’ve never hit the ceiling…

2 Likes

I had the same thoughts, when I tried this children’s DE. I never wanted to touch it again. Then my friend showed me KDE Plasma and worlds changed. KDE actually evolved to a really neat looking thing that also is not known as the “bloated DE” anymore. Since then I am using KDE and am pretty satisfied with it. KDE pretty much made a 180° turn when Plasma came out.

Therefore I prefer to refer to it as “KDE Plasma” so people know what is being talked about. KDE Plasma is a completely different experience than the original KDE.

2 Likes

My old HP G60-120EM :heart_eyes: Intel(R) Core™ Duo 2.00Ghz 3.00 GB RAM runing Trisquel GNU-Linux 8.0 shows 460MiB 15% of 2.9GiB with System Load Indicator running in the panel. With LibreOffice Writer working on a document this is recording 560MiB. So pleased with this though don’t know if this due to Trisquel install being 64bit as the old Vista Home Premium original install was a 32bit OS? It used to get real hot with pop-up warning notifications but now runs cool; Core Duo at 10% with just gentle fan even when using wine PhotoPlus program.
Use my old HP more now than Dell ubuntu - better English keyboard and larger more vivid screen. Bought her a new battery and thinking of new digital internal hard drive with perhaps four flavours on it - for Play Time :yum: