Does BlackLotus UEFI bootkit impact Linux in dual boot with Windows?

Have you tried? What happens when you boot a live linux flashdrive?

Because Black Lotus is a bootkit, ie it is located in the bootloader, it can theoretically affect any OS. It is a matter of whether the malcode does anything sensible when Linux is running, which is doubtful because it was tailored for Windows.
That does not mean Linux is safe from bootkits. It is just unlikely anyone would take the trouble to make one tailored for Linux.
The well known malware program clamav will detect rootkits, but not bootkits.

Its a bit old, but it explains all the concepts
https://www.antapex.org/bootkits.htm

1 Like

@nevj - thanks!

That was quite a chapter to read up on!

Btw, recall vaguely of at least two other serious security related issues.
The names unfortunately escape me, but fact remains, they don’t seem to have viable solutions since they are cooked into the disk. Don’t want to do politics, if you know what i mean.

Update: Meltdown and Spectre were the two issues.
Think they have never been fully addressed to, at least the last one for sure.

1 Like

@nevj
No and I do not intend to on my W11 machine. There is really no conceivable reason for
me to have Linux on my W11 machine.

1 Like

For what it’s worth… did install KDE Neon again with Win 11 on same SSD.
Don’t expect to see issues.

2 Likes

@danielson
That is your choice, have Linux on other PC’s, got too much money tied up in my W11
PC, to compromise it with Linux.

One reason might be that W11 is actually GNU under the hood, only M/soft are not admitting it.

@nevj
Yea!!! Nice try but no thanks W11 is running just fine without Linux.

Yes it doesnt have the Linux kernel.
Win is M/soft microkernel, and M/soft window system (DTE) , but all the stuff inside that does the work in user space is GNU. You cant escape that. I just wish M/soft would acknowledge it.

2 Likes

Maybe its time to take a look at Puppy Linux (and variant FossPup64) on a usb stick, as per Jack Germain’s article here: