Does Linux need a VoodooShield type app?

VoodooShield is Windows only app.
With apparently only one Linux compatible alternative.
https://voodooshield.com

You mean this?

What’s the point of having VoodooShield for you?
Perhaps a Linux alternative that does not consider itself a direct alternative to VoodooShield might already be more than good enough, for your use-case.

Extra layer of protection maybe?

Carbon Black - yes.
The only alternative?

Suppose if it were needed, Linux techs would have it available by now right?

One of the fundamental principles a Security Engineer of any type learns is that adding more stuff is discouraged, if you want to be safe. The safest protection you can get is the one that is as simple and as minimalistic, as possible.

So the extra layer of protection might theoretically reduce protection, for example, by potentially introducing exploitable bugs that wouldn’t be there in the first place, if the sofware wouldn’t have been installed.

By adding another layer of protection you are increasing the attack surface. Especially, if you do not know what you are doing, which seems like it is the case, in this specific situation.

All that said, you need to first of all know, what even your goal is. That why I asked for your goal. If your goal is to increase protection of whatever computer you are using, then I would advise you to not install any more protection software, but instead try to lower the chances of human error.

Almost all the time people and their electronic devices get exploited, because humans are stupid and extremely gullible beings.

If all people would behave reasonable and with logic, nobody would need an anti-virus on any normal home device, ever. The only people who actually would need to have anti-virus software is big companies like Microsoft, Apple, etc. because these are almost the only targets where hackers will actually spend time borrowing money from them.

P.S.: I’m personally not using any anti-virus software, currently. It had a bug, so I removed it about a year ago. Since then, I didn’t get to reinstalling it, yet nothing is missing. My PC is free of virus crap.

Isn’t the scope of VoodooShield to help you be sure that only the programs you have and want are the ones that are running or do what they are supposed to and not any other?

I don’t know the program. It does not matter what the program does. As I already mentioned twice, you first need to define the goals you have.

What do you want to achieve?

Please avoid:

https://xyproblem.info/

Antivirus like the likes of Avast and probably whatever this VoodooShield is? Run at root level, meaning it has access to your whole system. Since Windows10 has legal spyware capabilities, that everyone agrees to when they either install it, or buy a prebuilt Laptop with Windows 10 on, without reading the EULA first. So does the security software Avast sell you off and tracks your every move, same as Windows does. Linux has it’s security built in, plus what really helps, is the fact that Linux is not in the limelight of being the most popular operating system on the planet and also not proprietary, like Mac or Windows.

Yes Linux gets hacked, but that’s servers mostly. Never have I used any Antivirus on any of my Linux machines. The only time you will need antivirus, is if you’re using Wine as your everyday go to thing, using it for emails, shopping on line etc and if your computer is a server for say Ubuntu updates and your computer is a mirror server for the people in Wooga Wooga land, for the very low population of twenty people, to get their Ubuntu updates from. I don’t know if there is a place called Wooga Wooga land, if there is I apologise if my facts about your population is wrong, but hey it was just an example Okay, don’t take me to court over it?? No really please don’t? Pretty please?

3 Likes

I answered the wrong person, sorry about that it was intended for Danielson, so redone it below, even though you’ve probably read it anyway?

Antivirus like the likes of Avast and probably whatever this VoodooShield is? Run at root level, meaning it has access to your whole system. Since Windows10 has legal spyware capabilities, that everyone agrees to when they either install it, or buy a prebuilt Laptop with Windows 10 on, without reading the EULA first. So does the security software Avast sell you off and tracks your every move, same as Windows does. Linux has it’s security built in, plus what really helps, is the fact that Linux is not in the limelight of being the most popular operating system on the planet and also not proprietary, like Mac or Windows.

Yes Linux gets hacked, but that’s servers mostly. Never have I used any Antivirus on any of my Linux machines. The only time you will need antivirus, is if you’re using Wine as your everyday go to thing, using it for emails, shopping on line etc and if your computer is a server for say Ubuntu updates and your computer is a mirror server for the people in Wooga Wooga land, for the very low population of twenty people, to get their Ubuntu updates from. I don’t know if there is a place called Wooga Wooga land, if there is I apologise if my facts about your population is wrong, but hey it was just an example Okay, don’t take me to court over it?? No really please don’t? Pretty please?

Your feedback is a must to re-read! :cowboy_hat_face:

Ultimate query then: what if a country somewhere in the middle-east… have an Intel backdoor?
Will Linux make a difference then?

1 Like

Ha! ha! :slight_smile:

• O&O ShutUp10:Free antispy tool for Windows 10 is a good thing.

If you are talking about the Intel CPU backdoor, then the OS on top of it does not matter that much. This could be exploited through any operating system. However, Windows computers are more likely to be targeted by malicious software, in general.

2 Likes

Could not of put it better myself. If you think of all the processor vulnerabilities from Spectre, Meltdown, Zombie and all the others that I don’t know the names of, they lay in the same category as backdoors. Intel knew about the Meltdown vulnerability, been around for nearly thirty years. It took Google to report it, for Intel to recognise that they better come clean about it. What I did not agree with, was for Ubuntu and Linux security boffins to have to come up with a patch, Microsoft and Mac had to do the same. Intel should of done it, as it was their mess. Still is around now, as they keep churning out the same processor units with different names, but the specs are virtually identical to the last one and the one before that and that and that one and that one Et cetera, Et cetera, Et cetera.

1 Like

Yes Linux will always make a difference. Think about your bank? Linux is protecting your money. What I love about Linux is the fact that whenever there is a vulnerability the security boffins for Linux are there straight away with a patch, or cure to protect every Linux computer. You may have to wait a few hours, but they get straight on the case. The line of defence in Linux far surpasses anything, but for any vulnerability to get into your Linux computer, the hackers have to have your password and root access. If you’re stupid enough to not use a password, then you’ve opened yourself to the world and their wives to exploit you and your system. The biggest vulnerability on a computer is the user of it.

1 Like

Thank you. I apparently write the same as I do talk, so someone pointed out to me. When they read whatever I have written, they feel like they are listening to a conversation in their heads, as they read whatever it is I have written for the reader to read. Apparently it’s a rare gift, so I got told. Do I believe it? Answer in one word. No. I’m just myself, sometimes silly, but very passionate about Linux.

If the rumours are true and we all get given time machines in 2028? I’m making damn sure that Microsoft does not rule the world. I would introduce choice for countries of the world, go around introducing free and open source alternatives for businesses, without being money grabbing Bar-Stewards that Proprietary system owners are. People don’t really realise the power they have at their fingertips, when using Linux. To think that it protects our money in banks, operates fridges, washing machines, tumble dryers, cars, petrol station pumps, now also on Mars. In fact you could say that Linux is slowly dominating the world, without being in the limelight.

2 Likes

That is correct. However, if you have someone/something that cannot resist to help, like in this case, the OS’ companies trying to protect their own community, then you pretty much get free of cost technical support. So Intel probably thought, they have less work to do, if they let others fix it…

Humility is truth, and your writing style is right on!

As Kenny Rogers once sang: “Lord it’s hard to be humble!”

Have been using MX KDE iteration as of late… a distro hopper who just can’t find a decent alternative to Microsoft Word and Excel.

Wouldn’t surprise me to hear Microsoft announce cloud based everything.
“They” want to keep us securely at home right?

1 Like

They are thinking about just streaming Windows only, or at least that is the rumour. If you still need Windows installed, then the rumour went weird, having to pay a monthly or yearly hiring fee. I’m so glad I don’t rely on Windows for anything else, other than gaming the latest AAA games. Waiting for the day when Proton has one code sorted for every Windows game to run.

Though saying that I could stream Windows games through Steam to my Linux, now we’re able to. I’m also thinking about getting my hands on one of these. Mini Computer It has Windows on it at launch, but imagine it with Linux on it? I’d be able to stream the latest games from Steam to it, have it setup as a media machine. Linux is so versatile and with the 5.4 Kernel with everything written into it, Linux would fly on one of these. 16GB of Ram, room for two SSD’s to fit inside it, plus the speed of the M.2 Drive SSD already in there. AMD have done it again. Link To Website

1 Like

We do not need any rumours to know that. Big Corpo tries to stream everything by now. Why?
It’s crystal clear why.
Because, if you only get streamed stuff, you always remain the slave of Big Corpo. If Big Corpo does not like you or have any other reason to cancel you, they could stop streaming to you overnight.

The newest trend from Big Corpo is to make everything renting based, instead of owning based. The reason for that is, owning something gives you, the user, power over what you own. You can do whatever you want to it. However, if you rent something, you are never the owner. Big Corpo always remains the owner.

Big Corpo’s dream is that in 30-50 years nobody will own anything anymore. People will just rent/use it, but never own it, so they can never express their freedom with stuff they own themselves.

If people stay just as stupid as nowadays, this will actually happen.

2 Likes

Geeze!

That sounds just like stuff Klaus Schwab would say! :thinking:

I just looked him up, you could say he is trying to go as Hitler intended, but without the bloodshed? The Forum for young leaders seems an interesting read, but I have not read it as of yet.