Does Linux need a VoodooShield type app?

Rented houses, shoes, socks, trousers, shirts, jumpers, dresses, blouses, cardigans, rented wives, rented vehicles, rented electric (Wherever that’s coming from in the future?) The list goes on. Rented food, with regurgitation machines to give it back? :grin: Luckily in thirty to fifty years I hopefully won’t be around, but knowing my luck they’ll find a way to keep me alive, my brain in a jam jar on the mantle piece which is all rented too.

1 Like

Maybe you’ll be lucky and the rent for the jam jar will stop getting paid. I assure you, the nanosecond they do not get a payment anymore, they will put it in a bin and get rid of it – or better yet, empty it and let it to someone else.

1 Like

Well, after I used it up, and don’t need it, I’ll be happy to return the residues to the original owner company :rofl:

Really!!
Sounds like you guys have viewed James Corbett’s recent video:

Sorry - another thread hijack for a semi-coherent rant :smiley:

That’s the sorta thing I was looking at for a VMware ESX “home lab”… just a pair of them… then I could repurpose my 16 GB dual core Gigabyte Brix (I currently just use it as an extra Linux desktop - on my desktop) as a vSphere appliance… but still kinda pricey for what they are - given I’d be upgrading the RAM in them to 32 or 64 GB each… and Ryzen support is still a bit “iffy” in VMware ESX…

I used to have a VMware home lab (started building it nearly 10 years ago) - but my ESX hosts started getting a bit “long in the tooth” - a pair of Lenovo desktops with 16 GB RAM each and quad core i7s - not much - but enough to run a few low RAM low footprint VM’s - but nowhere near enough for today’s workloads… and I didn’t have a spare machine with 16 GB RAM to run vSphere on so I couldn’t figure out or play with things like SRM or vMotion…

Yeah yeah - I know I should be doing KVM or ProxMox or whatever because its more OSS than VMware - but ESX is still “de rigeur” for business - and it’s what I support in my job, and those customers who still have KVM are decommissioning it and going to VMware (and thankfully the one customer who bucked that trend with HyperV is long gone - F–K HyperV is a PEZZO DI MERDA! I DETEST it - it’s 10,000x worse than Oracle VM for X86 [OVM is NOT the same thing as VirtualBox])…

1 Like