Failed Ubuntu 22.04 Upgrade, fault is likely with Nvidia GPU

Ironically, even those have sometimes trouble with the operating system. This additionally shows how inherently broken Linux GUI is. I mean, if you pay 3 grant for a laptop, just so it can run Linux and there are still issues, that’s almost a rip-off.
For that money, I would not only expect everything to work perfectly, but also better, more efficiently and perhaps with more features!

I want to know the experience of users of Clear Linux on a dedicated Intel machine.

I started an install,of clear linux once, on a multiboot machine, and it threatened to reorganize my partitions, so I backed out.
I have run it in a VM.
It needs a cpu with some special characteristics, I forget what, but any modern cpu shoukd be ok.

And perfection would only last until the first update

We have to accept, Linux is a " swim with the current!" experience.
A bit like rust compiler. The price of having new things added is instability during the adding phase. When the adding phase lasts forever you have …

I would suggest that Linux is a tiny sandbox requiring advanced programming skills to keep the sand in.

When i first encountered Linux in the late '90s, i said, if your idea of enjoying a slice of toast is to begin by grinding whole wheat by hand, you’ll love Linux.

A few years later, i compared Linux to Windows 3.1, where users had to write their own ini files. Even Win 3.1 was easier than Linux.

Now, 20 years later, after a good run of 6 enthusiastic years, i resent the way Linux steals time from my life.

1 Like

It depends what you want in life. I am quite happy with the mental stimulus computing provides. Its not just Linux, I spent years
programming on mainframes and it ate into my scientific career but I got something out of it too.

Have a go at putting the nvidia module into the kernel. The first step is to find the module. It will be called something.ko. Forget where they are stored… maybe in /lib/… You need to find its name.
Then find out how to add the name it to some file in /etc/modules.d
Not difficult

Willing to have a go, but these tips are far too vague for me. “find out how”??? A good question.

This last straw was watching Mate upgrading for hours last week, clicking OK every 20 minutes or so, keeping the screen from locking, and then this. I had just had a challenge with clean Mint 21 (that printer issue), and two weeks earlier lost Ubuntu Gnome, same damn GPU problem. Before that, it was Skype freezing my computer, in the middle of teaching, while using the old card.
I could have lived with the Skype problem by using web-based Skype, so my seething resentment comes from making a seemingly better choice and suffering as a result.
If I take on the task, I am exactly like you. That is what I did with Solus, and earlier with about 10 live USB sticks. But when my time is stolen after doing nothing wrong, I get mad.

I will have to look back 10 years to see what I did to give you any more detail.
It is quite simple

• find out the name of the nvidia .ko file
  • add the filename to some list in a config file in /etc
  • reboot

Then let’s pull this out of this thread and rename it “How to add a module” or something similar.
BTW, I have a warning from the platform saying we should take this to messaging.

OK.
Ignore the warning… we want people tomsee it and help

This thread is already long enough as it is and mixing up stuff, makes it even worse. Just create a new thread, with a new specific question, like the one about adding a module, then things are kept organised. :smiley:

This topic reminded me the discussion at Chat With Patrons (May 29, 2022) - YouTube

I guess supporting NVIDIA cards are a bit tricky…