FOSS elitists vs Google elitists

Any software function can be implemented on chip
Its time to set this GUI stuff in stone ( I mean silicone) .
GUI is an invasion of what computer software was meant to be used for… it needs to be removed.
GPU’s are a halfway house. We need to go all the way. Your next computer should have KDE unit… multiscreen if you want.

Ouch.

Sounds like Linux Hitlerism or something.

2 Likes

Oh, I hope not.
Just looking forward to the future when all this GUI fuss is delegated to a smart peripheral.
And I should have said, you could have a choice of KDE or an MS gui unit.

I find this still extremely wrong. GUI is what makes end-user computers work. An end-user computer without a GUI is like having a car without wheels, doors, windows, mirrors, guide, pedals, etc… You just get an engine, you cannot operate.

1 Like

No, it just makes it possible for the user to do I/O in a convenient manner, including issueing commands which is just I/O from the OS point of view.
I/O can be delegated to peripherals. I can be separated .
What makes computers able to do work is clever programs.
Sure end-user computers need a GUI. Its how you deliver it that we are debating. Currently we deliver it with software tightly linked to GPU hardware… I just want to deliver it all in hardware…

Hardware people are much better engineers than software people, They would make the whole GUI world rugged and dependable.
Why not give them a chance? Sure its a big challenge, so was the moon mission.

No. Without it, end-users wouldn’t be able to operate the computer. There is a reason computers in the 80s and 90s were almost never used by any end-users. And even if they were, those were computer nerds and not normal people.
Computers were used only highly professionally for decades, until GUI improved more and more. Then normal people started to use it.
Therefore, GUI is absolutely necessary for end-user computers. It’s not a matter of convenience, but of feasibility.

Wrong. A program has to be operable by a human in some way.

I doubt that. Too many “hardware people” I have seen, use C and think it’s fine. That already excludes them from being smart.

You mean, unpatchable and implemented with glaring unfixable security issues.

Exhibit A are all commercial console hardware. No matter, how many millions you sink into those things, there are always some hardware exploits, that you simply cannot prevent from happening. This is how pros could so far crack pretty much any console. Some sooner, some later.

Because I think you are inventing something that you have no sufficient knowledge about. Which is why I asked “how” earlier, because I wanted you to actually provide at least a proof of concept of some sort.

If you do not provide a working example of such business, then I do not think that what you say can even work, in the first place.
Though, even if it would work, it still wouldn’t matter, because of the issues I pointed out above. No security, glaring unfixable bugs, etc.
Third of all, people are moving away from hardware, anyway. Cloud Computing is a thing and people want to have less & less PC at their homes.

So, all in all, your proposed business is a total failure, which has no place in our current world.

I am not trying to eliminate the GUI. I just want it delivered in a different way.
Of course I cant give fine details… out of my area altogether, and it is a concept, not a business plan.
Cloud software doesnt enter into this. Actually cloud is a good example of separation of the human interface from the computing. Not the separation I want, but a separation nevertheless.
It would be possible for a user to work with a GUI terminal,and a cloud., and have no PC at all, just like you are suggesting.

You said several times, that GUI is unnecessary, an invasion, etc. Which is not true.

I said it is unnecessary for making the computer do work. It is clearly necessary for communicating with the average user.

The GUI software tends to interfere with and dominate the plain operations software, especially in Windows, but also in X11.
That to me is bad design, or lack of design. Having an I/O function embedded is poor design. It tends to lead to every app being a rewrite of the user interface… wasteful and promoting a diversity of presentations that is confusing to users.

I want to see one user interface for everything… and outside of the computer software. It is a humdrum business and it needs to be treated as such.

And I’m saying, the computer does not work, when it is an end-user computer meant to be directly operated by, possibly unskilled, humans. It is a piece of trash, if it does not have any GUI, when people rely on that.

The computer works without a GUI in professional scenarios, as a server, for computer nerds, etc…

Can you give specific real life examples?

What is your poposed solution to this issue?

That does not make sense, because each type of operation is meant for a different task.
As an example, for understanding this, let’s take a children’s game. Do you really want a children’s game to have the same GUI as a program that is meant for computer enthusiasts, when they are administrating something?

1 Like

Yes. They are basically doing the same thing… communicating with the computer. One might use a different subset of functions. A good gui could provide for both.

Theoretically Linux is Google’s dad, but practically Google is its own guy ditching Linux’ philosophy

1 Like
Google is its own guy ditching Linux’ philosophy 

" Wir wandern von die Heimat weit hinaus,
finden doch in die Ferne, das Elternhaus."
Goethe

Apologies if my German is ungrammatical, that is from memory…
I am sure @Rosika will correct me

google will rediscover its heritage

1 Like

Hi Neville, :wave:

That´s alright, Neville. I had no idea you had German as a subject.
I tip my hat to you. :+1: I know it´s not an easy language to learn.

Off the top of my head I can´t recall where this particular citation might be found.
I looked around a bit but couldn´t find the right source.

Never mind. :wink:

Here´s how I would put it:

Wir wandern von der Heimat (or even: “aus der Heimat” ) weit hinaus,
finden doch in der Ferne das Elternhaus.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

Had 5 years of it at high school. Unfortunately my grammar and vocab are in the distant past, but I did recall this quote from Goethe, because of its religious significance.
Will see if I can find the source… there is a book somewhere on my shelf…
Learning German is great training in logic, and for an English speaking person it expands one’s appreciation of English grammer. One also gains an understanding of German culture. It is still a subject in Australian schools today.

Thank you for the correction. Need to go back to school.
Regards
Neville

1 Like

Interesting to see how people living on the world’s ass are putting more thought into this, than the German people.

A formerly important politician working for the German government, just a couple of years back, said, that there is “no discernible German culture”, as in, it does not exist.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback, Neville :heart:

Well, that´s quite something. :+1:

It´s very nice of you to say so.

Oh, I didn´t know that. I´m impressed.

You´re welcome. Please feel free to ask anything regarding such matters.
I´ll be glad to help - if I can. :wink:

Many greetings
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sometimes things are seen differently from a distance.
People here say Australia has no culture, apart from indigenous culture which is only now being appreciated. We do, but is limited by a very short history of Eupopean settlement. Perhaps that is why we appreciate the more classical cultures of UK and Europe.

It is not easy to separate culture and language. They are both about the way people think. Getting a glimpse of how other peoples think is an eye opener. That is why schools teach languages. It has limited practical use but it expands your mind.

2 Likes

I never got taught German culture or even history in high school, I went to high schools in Melbourne and Perth… Did my first year of high school in Perth, only two languages available were French and Italian, I wasn’t fussed either way, but my parents chose French for me… Following year of high school, was in Melbourne, and the school offered French, Greek, Indonesian, Japanese and German - I carried on with French… I moved back to Perth (with my parents) and finished high school here, and no German language or culture or history.

My kids went to high school here (Perth) and they never did German language / culture either.

There are (or were in the 1970’s anyway) considerable differences in school curriculums across Australia, like it’s only recently that Queensland and West Australia, made Year 7 the first year of high school, e.g. I did Year 7 in Perth as primary school (or “Grade School” as the Seppos might call it) as did both my kids…

I learned a fair amount of German “history” just by being personally interested in European history, and the 20th Century history of Europe imposes a knowledge of German history on the casual observer. And I was interested as both my “grossmutters” were German Australian.

From my Dad’s side, his mother used to do this with his hand when he was a “little tacker” :

Da hast 'nen Taler,
geh auf den Markt,
kauf dir 'ne Kuh,
ein Kälbchen dazu.
Das Kälbchen hat ein Schwänzchen.
Dideldideldänzchen!

And he used to, in turn, do it for his own kids when we were small… Ony my Dad’s side, the Germans were all Rhinelander Catholics, on my mum’s side Hamburg Lutherans - but it made no difference in Australia - my mum got Methodism from her dad (Anglo), and converted to Catholicism to marry my Dad…

My sincerest condolences.

That’s a no-brainer. Japanese goes over every other language ever.

:fu:

Not sure how the system works over there, but if they would do that in the systems I know, it would makes things even worse.

Indeed. It’s mainly due to geo-political reasons. Germany is in the middle of the middle. You cannot go more middle, geographically. It has always been the border between the West and East, in the 20th century.

Very distinctive…

Ouch. Never liked those fringe American/English freak churches. :laughing: