Gaming PC Reconfigured

I have switched from a dual boot with Arch Linux to a VMware VM running Linux Mint 19.3. I am now able to navigate between the two
OS’s without the hassle of a reboot. Was using VirtualBox for my VM’s but VMware and W10 work very well together.
Hated to say goodby to Arch but the Arch way was not my way.

I have thinked that goodbye only for Virtual Box, Linux is cool :penguin:

That’s one way to do it. :slight_smile:

The solution I’ve chosen is to run Manjaro Linux as the host OS and run Windows in QEMU/KVM with PCIe passthrough with a 2nd graphics card for pretty much bare-metal Windows gaming performance. Can easily take snapshots of the Windows VM for backups (in case a Windows update borks something, lol).

I’ve already had this setup configured and running as a test before finishing my new PC build.

1 Like

do you use virtmanager with kvm/qemu?

This picture proves you are affiliated with LTT. :laughing:

Yep, virtmanager. Took a little while to figure everything out. Never used it before.

@Akito I assume you’re a member on LTT as well?

1 Like

:smile:
I was referring to your open motherboard with stuff on it which resembles the test machines Linus uses for his videos.

That said, I’m not a “member” but my friend shows me a lot of LTT videos, so I am a consumer of LTT.

1 Like

i have only been using it for a few months. i’m no poweruser by any means, but would like to know more about it. a few web searches haven’t turned up any basic how-to’s. have you come across any by chance?

Ah, yes. The open bench rig they’re always using, lol. I like to test new hardware before installing it completely to make sure everything’s working properly, hence running it like that. And I’m glad I did because one of the ram slots on the motherboard decided to stop working. It’s with an Asus repair centre now getting fixed. :wink:

Been a member on LTT for many years now, (since about 2014-ish) and now one of the mods.

@01101111 Yes, over on Level1techs, they have a couple guides that go over pretty much every detail. It’s quite involving and you need to make sure your hardware supports the necessary virtualization and iommu features in order for it to work.

This is the guide I used. I just watched his video and manged to sort through the few minor snags I ran into along the way. His demo is using Debian, but the steps were almost the same for Manjaro.

3 Likes

thank you for the resource. i will take a look :slight_smile:

1 Like

But what tears my heart out is that the Arch way was so awesome. The 3 or so years I was putting 4 machines out a week atlas 2 were arch boxes. He’ll a buddy of mine wrote some hella scripts too. I remember how we taped a DVD of each customers computer config inside the case. Arch was fun to install because it was consistently predictable. After my last experience, and I am in no way alone, it would take the love of a 30 year old woman for me to touch another arch install. I mean, a good analogy is the perfect kid. Good grades, nonpregnancies, she helps in the soup kitchen… Nut when dat ho hit da college, she dealing drugs…stealing… Got 5 babies by 5 men. Just a shame. I wish I would have done more.