Gentoo install ... issues with keys, mounts and dinit

It’s usually DNS or time when there’s errors with resolution. I’ve learned that hard way :grin:

OK, I am up to that now
I have
COMMON_FLAGS=“march=native -O2 -pipe”

What is core2. ?
My processor/architecture is x86-64v2 (Sandy Bridge) … but this is a VM … what is the emulated processor there?

I am going to do what you have binary kernel and compile the rest. Will probably not have firefox and maybe not even X11 … this is a minimalist experiment with using dinit instead of openrc.

core2 is my CPU !! This really does not matter in a VM, I usually just use -march=native!! And for what you are doing, I am not sure if the binary kernel is the best choice!!

You think I may need kernel config parameters?

My opinion is to first get the thing booting and binary is best for that. Then build your own if you need/wish to use it.

I’ll try the same because got interested​:grin: just starting to build OpenRC version on my SystemD Gentoo VM.

Yes it is but the gentoo-kernel or the gentoo-kernel-bin is nowhere as flexible as the gentoo-sources for experimental use!!

What do you mean about the kernel being flexible? what does the binary kernel lack?
I understand binary packages not being flexible … they dont follow USE flags, you get whatever it was compiled with.
Do any USE flags affect kernel compilation? … or are USE flags only for packages?

A gentoo-sources kernel is the only one you can compile to your machines hardware the gentoo-kernel and the gentoo-kernel-bin are pre compiled using sys-kernel/installkernel and sys-kernel/dracut!!

I can probably get an x86-64v2 binary kernel
but
I need one compiled with ‘-systemd’ flag to get rid of all the systemd hooks in the kernel.

What are your thoughts on genkernel versus manual kernel compile today?

This really has nothing to do with compiling a kernel, you either install gentoo using systemd or OnenRC!!

Read the Handbook genkernel is no longer being developed!! You have two choices, dist kernels or sources kernels!!

In that case I will get it to boot first with a binary kernel, then I can muck about making a kernel from source.

I read that there are hooks in the kernel for systemd, and that you can remove them if you compile a kernel with USE=-systemd

I am not sure it would make much difference to operation of the kernel.

I have no idea, the gentoo-sources kernel and the make menuconfig has a lot of ways tick or untick for the kernel you wish to build!!

I did the install on a virtual disk, EFI and / partitions. I need to copy that disk and try to boot it today.

It is a long time since I did a make on a kernel… I have been using genkernel ever since you got me started again .
I think I will shelve the kernel issue and get on with the dinit experiment.

I have configure portage , and was doing an emerge @world update, when it ran out of space on some device while compiling gcc.
I assume if was ram disk that filled? I allowed 8Gb ram in the VM Perhaps that was insufficient?

It can take 2gb RAM per core. So you can’t use more than 4 cores with 8gb RAM

Why don’t you just use binaries? You can always compile the packages later if you prefer. I don’t see the point though because Portage will compile automatically if there isn’t a binary with the use flags you have specified

I am letting it do the default, which is compile.
I will use a binary kernel.

OK, I will set it to 16Gb of ram. I have plenty of ram to spare.

gcc is good to compile from source, even though it takes a loooong time. So is glibc and binutils. Be sure to turn on graphite, lto, and pgo, as that generates more performant binaries in a lot of cases — however, the compile will consume a lot more resources.

Be sure to include the compile flag -march=native.

True but Neville’s point is to test if he can use dinit instead of OpenRC. So this is just a VM test. I don’t see the point compiling and optimising everything for this test