How to Create a (persitent) Bootable Windows 10 USB in Linux

I dont understand your question.

Are you asking about the external usb hdd
or about the usb flash drive?

You have to first make the flash drive, using @easyt50 's method, then uae the flash drive to install Win10 on the usb hdd.

1 Like

@nevj and @easyt50

The article I wrote:

Has two methods.

The first one is basically having a USB in ExFAT filesystem (FAT doesn’t handle files bigger than 4 GB) and then copying the contents of the ISO (not the ISO itself) when the image is mounted.

This works in many cases but for some reasons unknown to me (never investigated enough), it may not work in some cases.

The second method is to use a tool called Ventoy to create the bootable Windows USB. This should work in (almost) all cases.

Hi @abhishek ,
Your first method has a problem. After copying the contents of the ISO, you need to write a bootloader to the device. Otherwise it will not boot. You need to add something to that document. Which bootloader and how you add it depends on whether you are legacy boot or uefi. My example was for legacy boot.

Also, that bit where you mention it has to be exfat or ntfs if the iso is longer than 4Gb needs to be right at the beginning of the partitioning section. We all missed it first try

Your second method (Ventoy) is OK. Howard eventually got it to work.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

@abhishek ,
I just had an idea. Your first method might work if the USB flash drive had ntldr bootloader on it at the beginning , and the partitioning did not remove it.

Do you know whether a brand new flash drive has ntldr on it?

Mine was given a new partition table and a reformat. That would have destroyed any bootloader, if indeed a new flash drive has a bootloader.

Regards
Neville