How To Dual Boot Linux Mint And Windows 10 [Beginner's Guide]

i have already installed nvidia driver

In case of any OS installation, you need to make a backup beforehand anyway. So just backup everything you need to a different hard drive, that won’t be present during installation. Then install Windows. Override the Windows Bootloader with GRUB2. If you have 2 hard drives within your computer, it is even easier. Install Linux to the first one, Windows to the second one and all you have to do after all is to change the boot order within your UEFI for the Linux HDD to be first in the chain.

Make sure you create a separate partition for Windows and then install Windows only to this partition.

1 Like

mine is legacy bios…

Same applies to legacy BIOS. Theoretically. Because if you truly have only Legacy BIOS on your computer then it is guaranteed to be too old to run Windows 10 anyway. You could go for Windows 7, which should definitely work, but its end of life for even extended support is soon or already kicked in.
If you plan to use Windows 7 only offline, without any internet access, it is fine though.

saimum: backing up your important data has been mentioned a number of times, but you haven’t acknowledged it. That is the only way for you to cleanly install Windows and then install Mint cleanly.

2 Likes

@saimum
I personally recommend BorgBackup.

I think, the important things are already said, just wanted to encourage you to take the (more) easy way by installing Windows first, then the Distro of your choice.
Even as an “advanced user” I would take this road.
If you just save your valuable data you can easily copy them back, when finished installing the OS’s.

In my opinion it is easier for you to take this little “unconvenience”, but it will save you from headaches, when it comes to re-install GRUB and so forth (assuming you’r e just starting with GNU/Linux).

1 Like

-----HIGH Recommendation-------
Keep your important (personal) files separate from the operating system. I believe I saw were someone already recommended this. This is very important and very well might cause you lots of problems in the future if the files are not separate.
1 - Important / Personal files need have at least 2 backup. One of these backups need to be off line (not attached to the PC).
This will keep your important files safe in case your PC won’t boot, the disk drive goes bad, or you need to restore PC’s OS.
And if you did backup your important files and keep them separate from the OS, you would solve 2 problems right now. Windows install & backup of important files.

Thanks everyone. I have successfully installed windows and ubuntu as dual boot.

2 Likes

Can you share a detailed protocol on what exactly you did to make it work?

2 Likes

Also, just curious why you switched from Mint to Ubuntu?

i just followed this steps

I just want to do some little things with ubuntu. like programming etc. should i install linux mint and uninstall ubuntu?

1 Like

Use which ever distro you like best. The choice is yours. :slight_smile:

yes. i like ubuntu cz it has really big community and a beginner friendly distro

1 Like

Pretty sure the only thing to do is as in you solution, copy everything you must save to a second drive then install Windows first on original drive. AFAIK, Windows will see entire hard drive size and overwrite anything else on it, no matter how it is partitioned (it’s why my laptop has 250Gb unused due to faulty Win 10 partition) One day I’ll find time to copy everything and fix it with new Win 10 install but in the last 2 yrs haven’t needed Win 10

1 Like