How to manage removable disk drives?

Plugin is OK anytime, but if you unplug a flash disk while it is being written on, the filesystem on it will be damaged.
Because you cant be sure if it is still being written on, it is best to do a sync first, or a umount, or an eject.
You can do umount or eject in the File Manager, or any of the three at the command line

1 Like

Hi Neville , Tnx for your response .Yes I know that a mem stick can be damaged when being removed when still writing ,so I always ensure the device is not actively transferring before removing it.
I normally transfer small files with it or make it a bootable disk ,the latter being sooo easy in Linux Mint by just right clicking on an iso file , be it that the device is then NOT persistant . But I donā€™t need that . After 17 years as a Linux only user , I have settled on LM and Zorin ā€¦happy with those.
Regards
Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

Hi Frank,
Yes that is the whole idea. It only matters when writing. Reading is safe
I like your chosen distrosā€¦something stable like Mint, and something new and exciting like Zorin. Thats a good mix. I do the same but with Debian and Void. Its great to have so many choices.
We are Australian, but we have an Irish connection. Nice to hear from you
Regards
Neville