How to upgrade to ubuntu 20.04 from 19.10 already installed (no windows)

I need to now upgrade to 20.04
I’m using 19.10 Ubuntu.
The windows 10 was erased when I first had ubuntu(studio) 19.10 put on this laptop.
How can I now do a complete fresh install?
Do I need to make a bootable USB as I already have the the 20.04 as a ISO file in downloads folder?
Can I boot straight from this already downloaded file of 2 to 3 GB (I don’t want to waste time downloading it again)?

Why would you need to download it again?

1 Like

I don’t. That is the point.
Skip that step.

I don’t know why the need to install from a bootable USB.
If I have the ISO file for the download of 20.04.

I even made a copy onto a dvd.

I’d prefer to wipe clean the whole hard drive and put the new 20.04 OS onto
the laptop. If I run the install with the Software Updater, will it erase disc and actually do that?

Yes I have saved my own files onto a storage device for placing back on the laptop’s harddrive once the install is complete. So no need to ask if i have.

The purpose of having the ISO file is burning it onto a DVD or onto a USB device. You can’t just use an ISO without an intermediate storage medium.

Just copied or burned?

The advice in F.A.Q suggests a fresh install will be cleaner.
This laptop DOES need a clean start.
It’s been running okay however with much CPU whining.
Never a break from CPU whining sometimes for an hour then 5 minutes off and the whining resumes.
Sounds as though it is making “hunting for power” sounds from the hardware, like some kind of rechargeable electric lawnmower impersonating a petrol lawnmower. If that makes any sense.
I’m really pressed for time too. Work in the backburner revving to be knocked over.
It is going to be a long night ahead.
Helpful straight to the point tips and advice would be appreciated.

To tell the truth I don’t know. I had trouble with the Verbatim DVD Writer.
It is not recognised. I do not know if it can even be used.

That’s how you burn an ISO to DVD:
https://linuxhint.com/linux_mint_burn_iso/

1 Like

Can I be sure that the instructions for linux mint are the same for ubuntu studio which has a mainly XFCE desktop?

Here we go again with duplication of tasks.

So not to repeat this whole copying to disc thing. I just connected up the DVD writer.

It’s all there ready to go I think.

Attached the screen shot:

Yes, it uses a generic burning program, called Brasero. That’s independent of the OS it is being used on.

There is a slavic proverb that goes like this:

“When a human is rushing, the devil is rejoicing.”

The whole “I gotta do this fast” thing is going to shoot you in the foot and you are going to lose much more time in the end if you continue with this attitude. Do it once, do it right. Don’t expect everything is done already.

Head on to burning the ISO. Doesn’t even take longer than a couple of minutes. You have these minutes, trust me.

1 Like

Sure I don’t mind having 2 identical copies on DVD which is likely the case it will be.
But nothing like being 200% sure I have got it (Ubuntu 20.04, the file that is going to be burnt from off of the 20.04 file sitting in my downloads folder) in the bag.

That doesn’t work. If the DVD is really burnt, you cannot write a second time to it. You can also verify the integrity of the DVD to make sure the original one is correctly burned, however you are trying to be speedy about this situation, so I gave you the quickest solution.

If you are positive, you have a correctly burned DVD, then boot into it, choose either “Install to whole hard drive” (or something similarly named) or “Something else” where you delete all partitions, create one or more new ones and then choose to install the OS onto that. Once finished, wait for the installation to complete entirely. Do not interrupt the installation.

Thank you for thoughtful reply.

Here is the actual disc, on left, compared to a blank, on the right.
The wide burn marking most of the disc from centre nearly to the edge shows the burn did happen.

I did run checksum on the file that was recorded (burnt) onto the disc, but will be going on faith for the disc’s checksums of data in regards to the precision of that burn.

piC of dvd:dvd_burn_photoDSCF0374

1 Like

Is there an app to assist the boot in process?
Or a tutorial to explain commands in terminal?

What exactly are you referring to? What exactly do you need help with?

1 Like

This:
“If you are positive, you have a correctly burned DVD, then boot into it,”

Because I have only that screen as shown in the 1st pic I attached to go off.
Due to me referring to this as an erase and partition as you already have alluded to,
I need to find the device to actually proceed to do that.

I don’t really understand what you are asking.

what device are you trying to find?

-App- not device (bad syntax-my bad). I need to find, to access, be able to utilise, an " app ", a piece of well made software, or command/s to use, or an already presentable video tute’ link, to click upon and watch. So I can proceed to do the "boot into “it”, (the “correctly burned dvd”).