I think I've found the right distro for my aging (older) laptop!

The neat thing about Manjaro is, and this may not be so neat for someone who’s a fan of living on the bleeding edge all the time… Manjaro tends to wait a few weeks before releasing updates, whereas regular Arch will be like constantly drinking from a fire hose with updates. So the advantage with Manjaro is that you get a bit more stability built in than if you were using regular Arch. Plus the distro itself is as easy to install as Ubuntu (at least in my opinion) … so there’s that.

1 Like

Based on my experience with Manjaro, I totally agree. Installation was easy-peasy! The installation could not have been any easier. My reason for ultimately choosing it was that I found a way to boot it with Secure Boot enabled. I know that a lot of folks don’t think Secure Boot matters when using GNU/Linux, but as far as I’m concerned, the more layers I can lay on my security onion, the better :slight_smile:

Ernie

1 Like

Void is like that too. It is rolling release, but managed. I have never had a problem with Void updates. Void is not an easy install like Manjaro. Void has a 32 bit version.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. I tested Manjaro when I was doing some distro hoping and I liked it. My only problem with Manjaro was with it’s version of grub. I installed Manjaro in a multi boot environment and it wiped out to pointer to the other distro.

1 Like

I think that may be an issue with the installer, rather than with grub itself.
Look at the trouble I had recently trying to install Mint without grub.

1 Like

I have tried Manjaro, it just does not fit and work for myself, I would run Arch before I run Manjaro. Gentoo beats Arch and Manjaro!!!

2 Likes

You sir are a brave man. LOL

1 Like

Why!! Gentoo is not hard to install, a little time consuming, but it installs just as easy as Arch or even Manjaro and I have a Linux system with the software I need or want.

1 Like

I support that, except I would say a first time install is hard. You need help.
Running Gentoo , including updates is no more difficult than any other distro.
Updates are smaller downloads than most distros, because it downloads source code.
You can put Gentoo on an older machine, it even has a 32 bit version, but compiling will be slow. For serious use it needs to be on a multiprocessor machine less than 10 years old.

2 Likes

Spent a couple of days with Manjaro. Opted to flush it and go with MX. Much more satisfactory!

1 Like