Internet dropping out. Mint 19.1

If a router would actually require this, anyone should avoid this brand. That said, from my personal experience, I restart my router maybe twice a year max. and it works like a charm. If a router needs this restarting, you should consider getting a better one.

May I thank all who provided advice on the answer to my topic. It was os appreciated. In the end I took the advice of Dave, who suggested a command line, and changed the power save from 3 to 2. at present, htis seems to have solved the problem.
Again, many thanks in deed to all

2 Likes

glad to hear you got it all sorted. if you have the chance to mark the post that was the solution by clicking on the three dots below it (and to the left of reply) and then the box with the check mark in it, that would be helpful and much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know you disagree but …
"You probably know you need to reset your router when the internet goes out, but here’s some news about routers that may surprise you: In order to get the most out of your wireless router you should be resetting it regularly! Yes, even when it’s not necessarily giving you trouble. "

I was not suggesting you buy a router that REQUIRED re-booting once a month. What I was trying to say and I will be more careful with my wording this time say.
“If you suspect you are having a problem with your router, it would not / should not hurt to reset the router by turning it off. Waiting one minute and turning it back on. Some sites even suggests doing this once a month.”

Would you like a second opinion?

1. This is a modem, not a router. (According to their explanation. Other than that, it might feature a router as a sub-component of the modem.)
  2. 80% of the displayed reasonings on that website are wrong or at least wrong in the way they are portrayed. Already the very first sentence is pretty much wrong. What follows it, is wrong for a lot of hardware.

Definitely putting Nuvera on the list for brands to avoid. Luckily, I have never heard of it ever before.

How about ‘How-to Geek’ ? Like / trust them?

Howard as @Akito has said there is a difference between a modem and a router. This article gives one of the best explainations of the difference between the two : https://www.lifewire.com/difference-between-modem-and-router-4159854 . It is fairly standard advice to unplug as this does reset things, our own telecoms provider suggests that and I have been doing it for years and it is often a quick solution.

Here is my real issue with all the restarting talk:

If you have a bacterial infection and you take cough drops to reduce the annoying symptoms, what do you fight? Certainly not the sickness, just its symptoms. So if you have trouble with your device and then restart it, the symptoms might be reduced, but the underlying issue probably isn’t fixed.
The only thing I can think of where restarting actually “solves” something (still not really, but it is pretty close) is when you run your desktop OS for a while, use a lot of programs and then your memory and/or swap gets cluttered, which accumulates over time. So restarting removes the cluttering which is almost the issue. (Almost. Since the real issue is that the OS is not properly cleaning up after itself.) Perfect example for this is Microsoft Windows. It happens all the time and is extreme. Is it normal, though? Well, it is such an established thought, that most people think we just have to accept that.
Which is wrong.

Now the following will also partially explain why your first Nuvera website is talking crap. Many devices are made to literally never be turned off. They shouldn’t be and it could even hurt them. That said, if you have a desktop computer, you should do one of two things: either turn it off regularly and not using it for an extended period of time or literally never turning it off (from a hardware perspective). If you let it run for 2 weeks and then turn it off for a while, it is more bad than good (from a hardware perspective).

Now, why is Microsoft actually Microshit and why shouldn’t turning off be needed?
All your OS has actually to do, is properly cleaning up after itself. That is it. Microshit is really bad at this and they sell it as “that’s just how a computer works”. Well, wrong. You’re being conned.
My Raspberry Pi runs for several months without being turned off and it has the same performance as when I just had restarted it. The only times I can think off where I need to restart is if I actually fail to install a program and it causes different issues. Other than that, the OS just cleans itself up properly. To be more precise, it doesn’t produce a load of crap in the first place, like Winshit does.

So… Restarting your device often is a workaround more than it is a solution.

1 Like

Agree with you it is just a workaround, but one that often works as all it is all that is needed.

1 Like

Yes @ElectricDandySlider, I am well aware that that a modem and a router are not the same thing. My first modem was for an Atari 400 and was, if I remember correctly, 600 Baud (600 bits per second). Back then only text was coming across and at that Baud rate, a person could read the text as it came across the screen. At work, I use to work with 2400, 4800, and 9600 Baud rated modems that used a dedicated telephone line that ran from one office building to another office building. I wrote the CICS programs that were used to display the information that was shown on those old CRT terminals.
For the past 15 years or so I use what I call a router. Maybe that’s not the right name for it. But this one device has blinking lights, an Antenna and Ethernet cables attached to the back. In this one device that I call a router is a router, WiFi, and modem all built into it!
Sorry if I sound like a smart-***. I was only giving a suggestion to reset a device. I did not expect this backlash when I was only trying to help. Maybe I should be quiet when the Wizard speak.

1 Like

Howard please don’t be so quick to take offence, I certainly didn’t mean any with my reply to you . I have a FRITZ!Box 7490 which is both a modem and a router. I have also agreed with you about resetting and know it is standard practice to take out the mains lead for 10 seconds then restart. I have found that it clears most problems as it resets and clears the lines. If that simple task doesn’t work then I look for other things.

Some have for want of better word an “unfortunate” and direct manner of saying things. You have as much right as any other to reply and don’t let anyone put you off doing so. Sadly, because we are faceless here, what comes out might not be as it is received okay

1 Like

Don’t worry, Howard and you don’t need to stay quiet as well. Even I opt for a reboot. A reboot often makes problems disappear. It may be a workaround but if it helps you get rid of the issue and let you focus on your work, I don’t see a harm in it unless you have to do it frequently.

@akito is technically right but your suggestion is not wrong as well. A restart of router/modem isn’t a bad idea and when I have issues with the network, that’s the first thing I do. Buying a new router is not an option, and fixing hardware is not what I prefer :slight_smile:

If a restart of the router/modem let us enjoy life, then why not :beers:

3 Likes