It is spreading

Spotted Dick was also in a Jakie Chan / Owen Wilson movie that I completely forget the name of at present (19th century cowboys go to London)

And as @Brunomant1 pointed out above, Dick is a nickname for Richard here in the US. Tho, I haven’t hear it used lately. Ah, but the VP under Bush was Dick Cheney.

First time I saw the name “GIMP” I instantly thought of the character in Pulp Fiction… and when I do use GIMP, I don’t fire it up - I “bring it out” :smiley:

The joke is actually honoured within The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

1 Like

Cool… I’ve got Witcher 2 in my Linux games Steam Library - but found it too difficult to play - even with a Steam Controller… and no Linux version of Witcher 3… I’ve read all the books… looking forward to the upcoming TV series…

I heard this one is taken over by the wrong type of people which results in a very shitty TV show.

1 Like

Reading this thread I remembered this:

When did “Sticks and stones may break my bones…” stop being relevant?
“I’m offended…”
So what? Be offended. Nothing happens.
You’re an adult. Grow up. Deal with it.
Being offended is subjective.
It has everything to do with you as an individual or a collective or a group or a society or a community, your moral conditioning, your religious believes,
what offends me may not offend you.
And you want to make laws about this?
I’m offended when I see boy bands for gods sake…

I hope this is not too controversial, offtopic for this forum though…

1 Like

I learned from past events. Now it is impossible to claim so as this thread is based entirely on an article that is released on ItsFoss itself. If you can’t talk about an ItsFoss article on the ItsFoss forum, there has to be something wrong with this behaviour… (i . e. it has to be an ideology…)

Addressing your video:
That is one of the core problems when people shout about being offended and that that shouldn’t happen.

I am offended seeing religious groups having something to say in our society. I am offended when people smoke next to me. I am offended in the case someone pretends to be offended. I am offended when people try to suppress free speech.

All this and many more things offend ME. Why aren’t there laws in planning for stopping my triggers from happening as well?! :laughing:

2 Likes

Not at all that was the point of this thread to show how stupid things have become now. Our community has standards of showing respect towards all and okay sometimes we sail close to the wind so to speak, but things are going where Mr/Mrs Always Right are taking over and that IMHO is wrong.

1 Like

Don’t think laws would work but there are probably several medications to prevent you being triggered ;o)

1 Like

Some years ago my youngest daughter was called a geek, which upset her. So I changed be background image on my PC to a motherboard with GEEK in huge letters in the middle of it. She questioned me about it and I said I’m proud to be a geek, I wear that term as a badge of honor. It made her feel better.

2 Likes

With advances in digital machining, material 3D printing, etc, being a geek with the ability to program will ensure a very good lifestyle. Even hobbyist’s are using a lot of CAD/CAM and have been for several years. Personally, I don’t have any CNC or ability to use it even if I did plus, I know people who will spend 7~10 days programing a simple machining operation I could carry out in a few hours in 6061 Aluminium. The advantage of CNC though, if I wanted hundreds instead of just one. Anyway, sorry for rambling, wish I was more ‘geeky’ :crazy_face:

GIMP was in use in Britain probably 35~40 yrs ago and probably even longer ago in USA? I really don’t think it’s in current use anywhere at present as it was a derogatory term for someone with a limp or ‘bad leg’. I know I haven’t heard it except in the Linux context

1 Like

I can remember the epithet “gimp” being used in English comedies, especially Red Dwarf (and “gimpoid”).

I’m guessing the most famous use in popular media was in Pulp Fiction when Zed orders “bring out the gimp”… hilarious… I don’t think the term is particularly offensive, and it does seem that English/British and Antipodean English speakers are less easily offended than North Americans…

I remember reading once how US publishers, on re-issuing for UK publication Jack Vance’s brilliant “Planet Of Adventure” series, changed one of the book titles from “Servants of the Wanque” to “Servants of the Wannek” - to avoid using a word that sounded like slang for masturbation in UK (and Australian / NZ) English… I doubt anyone in Blighty would have been offended by “Wanque”…

Hopefully - if its name does change, someone will fork it and it retain the original name :smiley:

1 Like

I’m British but lived in USA since 1999. Americans in general are pretty friendly bunch but because of the lawyers get ‘afraid’ of just about everything as someone may sue for almost any reason. I was talking to an ex cop,he came out with Shakespear’s ‘kill all lawyers’ quote so I guess it’s been a problem for ~300 years? (or more?)

2 Likes

You Bakewell Tart You! :blush:

Jehova - Jehova! There I’ve said it again! :joy:
Check out Monty Python - Stoning YouTube
Thirty years on and still funny and so relevant in this PC World. :eyes:
And no; I don’t mean personal computer.

2 Likes

You wouldn’t be (Bakewell) pudding me on would you? :yum: :joy:

2 Likes

30 years?

I saw it at the movies in late 1979 (or maybe early 1980)… so 40 years :smiley:

2 Likes