Kubuntu 23.04 update wiped out GRUB

@nevj I did not know that having two Linux installs has one controlling grub. Another notation for Linux notebook. HA!

So I guess I did okay in repairing the grub from Kubuntu, as it must be the controller since it was installed first; LM added later, but I don’t like messy grub menus.

Have not dealt with os-prober.

Thing is, I just did my research this morning prior to this mess on getting rid of Kubuntu as I am running out of disk space between the two. So in the next few days, I intend to try and follow these instructions to delete the partition where Kubuntu resides and just have a single boot Linux Mint on this machine (I have other machines with Kubuntu and Pop OS so no longer needed on this one):

When resizing a partition you need to consider to which side the partition will grow, if you want to grow to the right for example, you don’t need sda3 and want sda2 to use that space the solution is deleting sda3 and resizing sda2, but in your case you want to resize sda3 to the left(taking sda2 space), the solution for this is more involved:

BEFORE THIS CREATE A BACKUP OF YOUR DATA

Boot in to a live iso with gparted installed.
Delete the windows partition (sda2)
move the ubuntu partition to the left(sda3) DO NOT RESIZE THE PARTITION YET
once the move operation is complete you can resize the partition to the right.
if you are using a bios system then recreate the GRUB install, but if you are using an EFi system this step is not required.
and that’s it.

NOTE: UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE CANCEL OR STOP THE MOVE OR RESIZE OPERATIONS OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA!

Please advise if this is not correct. I am using clonezilla first to image the entire disk before proceeding with the above.

Thanks,
Sheila

UPDATE: After re-reading my topic Change dual boot to single boot like I did on the newest tablet, I think it would be easier (I think) to just move my LM home directory to my external HDD. I had already made partitions on THAT 5 TB drive for both Kubuntu & LM to store the timeshift backups and in case of future decision to move home. So current home dir on LM internal SSD is 350 gb; partition on external HDD is 1.2 TB. Now if I just don’t mess up the fstab. BUT, don’t think I can move home from Kubuntu as it is 400 gb on internal partition and I only allotted 595 gb and 200 is already in use. That leaves the internal Kubuntu parition with 40 gb free. Maybe I can just move the large home folders/files to the external so to free up more space on that install.

Is it going to be noticeably slower having home on an external HDD (not SSD) than on the internal SSD? Albeit, I had been grumbling about my LM system getting slower and then noticed I have 10 gb left …duh.

What do you think?
Sheila