KVM backups with Virt-Manager

you can store your virtual hard disk files wherever you want… By default they’re in a certain directory, but maybe differences in versions has yours going to /pool and mine going to another directory. Either way, you can change that source directory to whatever it says, because that’s where it would physically be.

The format is selectable, the other option being .raw or .img, so that’s how that got created. Even if you didn’t choose to create a custom storage volume like that, it’s possible that libvirt could be set to default to .img instead of qcow2.

format2

It is not anywhere on my computer or ext hdd, so says Pop Os. I am going to reboot and try once more to find it.,

Sheila

After rebooting, same results. It is beyond me how I can run this VM and yet it is not to be found.

Screenshots of all images used for this VM and 2 can be found exactly where it says. Only /var/lib/libvert/ has no images.

Well I have the xml, but that wll not help in restore without the image. So I guess I will get to create it all over again. :melting_face:

On to the next project.

Thanks for the help,
Sheila

Did you perhaps never save the image from virt-manager, so that the win vm has been running from the .iso file all the time?

Hmmm, not sure. I did not know that was possible–to run from the .iso. But why would it show an .img file in var/lib/libvert? How would I save it now?

Thanks,
Sheila

If you run on the .iso, it is like running a live distro from a flash drive… you cant save anything.
If you do an install, you need to tell it to save the image file and you need to set the boot setting to boot from the image file or it will carry on booting the live image from the iso.

In Vbox, the step of changing over from booting the CD to booting the VM is obvious. In virt- manager it is more subtle.

I have never really mastered the exit options in virt-manager, but I think either Shutdown or Save will save the current
VM to an image file.

What type of image file it saves to (qcow2 or img) should be in the settings. It defaukts to qcow2 for me.

I went back and re-read all the steps we took when this W10 VM was created. And near the end, I followed @nevj 's article which said to use RAW vs QCOW. So in setting up the VM, that means it would have created a raw image. But in the article there was an area here:
Screenshot from 2024-03-24 19-47-29

And it showed me to select or create custom storage. But notice the create a disk image for the virtual machine? It was not selected. So I am unsure about that step in the long process we had with getting W10 running.

Thanks,
Sheila

OK, it looks like the VM file was never written
Havd you ever worked in that Win VM?
Did you make any files?
Are they there?
That is another way to check

If it is not there, … easy for you… forget about moving things, save your iso files, and make the VM again from scrstch at the new location.

Yes, I installed apps, saved docs & spreadsheets, etc. They were on the virtual hard drive. I already backed up the only files I needed from there. And, of course, I still have all my .iso files we used to create the VM.

I have my notes from before, so why not? I am getting good at re-creating things, reinstalling things, restoring snapshots, etc. LOL.

Sheila

1 Like