Learning linux commands for beginners

This was one of the most charming of the alternatives. Check out:

It can also be installed using SNAP.
Howard @easyt50 should find this one quite nice.

3 Likes

Here is a PDF book with everything you need for the Terminal, it helped me out link below
http://cc.iiti.ac.in/docs/linuxcommands.pdf

Or there is this one for beginners

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing both of these :+1::+1:

2 Likes

tldr was the other one I was trying to think of…

will come in handy next time I’m using “dd” to write a USB boot stick, or an SDCARD for an SBC - I’m always forgetting the “nice to have” arguments like progress and sync (and furiously searching through my command history to find things like “conv=sync”)…

thanks for sharing!

I really wish there was a way I could have all my shell utilities and settings sync’d across devices… as it is - I keep my main ~/bin/ shell scripts in Resilio Sync… and my ~/.ssh/config (using symlinks)… but I need more :smiley:

2 Likes

at first i wasn’t sure about watching a whole 7+ hour video (i’ve still only made my way to just over 2), but there is some good info there. from the basics of an ubuntu install to plenty of command line examples and explanations. if you click “show more” beneath the name of the person who posted the video, there is a list of time stamps for different sections. “Linux command line essentials” starts just after the 1 hour and 23 minute mark (1:23:09 to be exact).

i had never seen sudo !! (repeat the previous command with sudo) before. i have used it a couple of times since. definitely quicker than retyping the whole thing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another option, with the same number of keystrokes (seven): hit right-arrow up-arrow home-key to recall the previous command and move to its beginning, then type sudo and a space.

3 Likes

Here is another superb introduction. I hope Howard @easyt50 gets a chance to appreciate the clear prose!

2 Likes

is this determined by the specific terminal? in mine (terminology) the up arrow gives me the previous command.

3 Likes

Oops. I meant up-arrow, not right-arrow. Thanks!

2 Likes

just wanted to make sure i wasn’t missing something :slight_smile:

3 Likes

one of the key combinations that i find useful specifically in dealing with already used commands is ctrl + r (reverse-i-search). i think i first found it while i was dealing with conky -c /path/to/conf/file and wanted a way to run it frequently without having to type it all over each time. later i learned how to assign an alias, but ctrl + r still comes in handy when trying to remember a command i might not use very often.

1 Like

Thanks, I got my copy from Amazon.

1 Like