LibreOffice 6.2 freezing

LibreOffice freezes very often. Or perhaps it would be fairer to say that Calc does – I’m not really sure about Writer – but when it happens, my only option is to kill the whole LibreOffice, Writer and Calc windows alike, and then hope that the last autosave took place recently enough. I have the impression that this tends to happen when I hit two keys in very close sequence, as if the system were unable to catch up with my fingers. But such a thing is not believable, is it?
I run LibreOffice 6.2.5.2 (a supposedly stable version) under Linux Mint 19.1, desktop Cinnamon 4.0.10, with 8Gb RAM.
Have people noticed such a thing? Is there anything I can do to diagnose the situation when it occurs, handle it with less damage than killing LibreOffice does, or prevent it?

1 Like

You could try updating through flat pack the version there is 6.3.1.2. That was the only solution that I found to it when it froze. Just do a back up before doing so, and then uninstall the present version or you’ll have two versions.
I would also suggest that you upgrade to Mint 19.2 which you can do through Update Manager.
Sorry don’t have another solution that I know will work apart from these suggestions

2 Likes

I also have the same problem of freezing. I was using Ubuntu Mate, 8GB RAM, LibreOffice 6.2. While using LibreOffice and open many firefox tabs, the system monitor shows the RAM and Cache use 100% and then freezes. I search for a solution, finally I added an 8GB RAM (now total 16GB RAM) and solved the problem successfully. I think there is no other way to solve this problem. (Now updated to LibreOffice 6.3)

Hi and welcome to our community.
As I said in my reply early the only way around it I found was to do the update as you have done- no other solution seemed to work - I don’t know why

Upgraded both the system to Mint 19.2 and LibreOffice to 6.3.1.2; let’s see how it will go.

P.S. No, that was useless. LibreOffice is frozen. Seeing that the memory was all full (mostly taken by some heavy web pages), I killed FireFox. After that System Monitor reported that the memory was 75% free, but LibreOffice was (and is) not responding. (‘You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the application to quit entirely.’—the ‘short while’ is looking as though it will never end.)

2 Likes

Indeed, the programs mentioned are extremely RAM hungry. And depending on the version, a memory leak could cause even higher RAM usage. I remember an old Firefox version from about half a year ago, that had a huge memory leak… Finally it is fixed, though.

2 Likes

Right Akito, Firefox using 3.2 GB Ram 1.4 GB RAM by LibreOffice and Cache 3.5 GB Ram total of 8.1 GB of 16 GB