Linux turns 33! What's your Linux story?

Look at what LMDE says about itself:

Its goal is to ensure Linux Mint can continue to deliver the same user experience if Ubuntu was ever to disappear.

Originally Linux Mint derives from Ubuntu. Ubuntu is based on Debian testing.

LMDE, while looking and mostly behaving the same as “normal” Linux Mint, is based on Debian stable.

If something gets broken in Ubuntu, it will most probably affect Linux Mint as well. But not LMDE!
Debian (stable) has to break something which would also affect LMDE.
Note that LMDE has its own Cinnamon (6.2) version, which is ahaed of real Debians Cinnamon (which is 5.6 I think).

However, you are free to change the DE in LMDE by installing XFCE for example, and removing Cinnamon.
So you may have an LMDE with XFCE if you whish, you are not strictly tied to Cinnamon.

4 Likes

Switched to Pop again, the Nvidia driver works here!

4 Likes

loaded: modesetting,nouveau failed: nvidia
:thinking:

2 Likes

Ohh wait noo!!

But the Nvidia x settings app is working

2 Likes

2 Likes

That really seems to work.
You have even CUDA. :clap:

It’s time to try Davinci :wink:

2 Likes

Yess!!
Will follow the steps u sent before.

@berninghausen :

Hi Bill, :wave:

Oh dear. You´re ever so kind in giving me so much praise. :heart:

Neville (@nevj ) is quite the expert on more topics that I can even begin to enumerate. That´s for sure.
And there are so many more knowledgeable people (including you, Bill) on this forum.

As far as I´m concerned, I consider myself to be a beginner when it comes to Linux topics…
… even after all these years. :wink:

Learning never stops, and I find myself learning new things almost on a daily basis.

Thanks so much to all of you for helping me. :heart:

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Wait so I somehow made it work and now its working hooray!

2 Likes

So it works, probably in OpenCL mode.
That works too, but CUDA is way much more performant.
If you need DR features available in that version, I think on your current hardware you stick to OpenCL.
If you can afford to run an older version, get it from here:

For editing videos like that, version 16 is OK, and it may work with your CUDA.
I made this short vide 2 years ago using DR v16.

2 Likes

Yepp it is in OpenCL mode

Hmmm

Yeahh

Anyways im not gonna edit very high end videos. Just some basic 3-4 layers 1080p, titles, transitions, animations and green screens thats it…
Will vr 16 work for me then?

Yes. It’s older, but still the most capable NLE.
For me it worked for couple years, the bottleneck wasn’t Davinci, but my own capabilties.

1 Like

Will check comparisons and decide.
I dont thike i need much performance though…

1 Like

If you need some tutorial…
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatseyeviewUK/videos

The most effectiv tutorials I ever saw, I love the “right let’s get to it” from Daria Fissoun.
It’s about Davinci 12.5 (and on Windows, but that should not disturb you, as it works the same on Linux), still applicable and useful, as the basics did not change.

Another collection from Casey Faris, which is really worth to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CaseyFaris777

Well, you know that… :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, will check it out!

How did you do that??!! I have GT 730 in my PC and it is failing everytime I am trying to make it work.
See my post here: After installing Nvidia driver for GT730 in Fedora it became unusable. I have posted images of what happened after installing the 470.xx RPM Fusion driver recommended by Nvidia. Please help me to solve my problem. Please post the step by step the way you followed. I need this driver to work.

1 Like