Lumina Desktop: the ISO (Part 2)

You just type void-installer and it starts. I guess you got that far. I agree it looks like no other Linux installer… it looks like BSD installers.
So , if you dont like that, lets forget it. I dont want to cause you angst.

Lumina is another matter. You can get lumina running in a HD install simply by replacing the desktop in , say Kubuntu, with lumina. You dont have to have Void to have lumina.
Dont try to put in two DTEs at once. Remove whatever dte you have ( or start with a basic iso without a dte) , the simply add the lumina package. Easy. What you get is very basic. You might want to add a few other things, like a browser.
Thanks for trying Bill.

That is exactly it.
Fallback position , after I finish being stubborn.
And one does not bother the experts until one has exhausted all avenues.
I cant even get grub to boot the downloaded void base iso yet.

This whole area is a minefield. Every distro is different… not just in the structure of the iso, but in the way they manage the boot process and the way they construct vmlinuz and initrd.
I guess they would not be separate distros if they were all the same

Thanks
Neville

1 Like

I do not agree with that. It’s usually best to ask the maintainers in the process, so you don’t waste time, effort and nerves for the sake of trying out every single unlikely possibility that something might suddenly just work. I think, if you tried the 3 to 5 biggest and most reasonable solution attempts and it still won’t work, it’s time to contact whoever knows best, to be able to continue and not waste any further time & effort.

Additionally, you have already put a lot of effort in this upfront. You already did your part. If you ask the experts even right away, it’s still justified, as you already did your homework and are done with the biggest part about how to get this to work.

Plus, even if you wouldn’t even have started, it would’ve been advising to ask experts for tips & information about pitfalls, before even beginning with the project to begin with. This also sometimes may save a lot of time and trouble.

Due to all the reasons explained above, I think it’s fine to contact experts in many scenarios. The only exception is, when someone is saying something like “I don’t want to do anything, just do it for me, I’m too lazy” – then, it’s most likely unjustified. :wink:

The hardest part is probably that Void is an independent distribution. If it would be based on a major one, you could perhaps follow the more well known and better documented boot process for the major base distribution. (Not saying, that independent distributions are bad.)

1 Like

I really think there may be a generic solution… but I may not be clever enough to find it.

But yes. If it was Debian, there are documented solutions. And there are for things people boot a lot , like Clonezille, SystemRescueCD, Knoppix.

Dont worry, I enjoy the struggle.

1 Like

So , if you dont like that, lets forget it. I dont want to cause you angst.

That was just me being a little tired and a lot lazy. The installer simply asked questions for which I had no answer, unlike typical installers. I’m 74, Neville, and I have become impatient with ‘doing the work.’

But I remember how!

Actually I am curious. What questions threw you? It is a rather simple installer. If it was the partitioning section you can avoid all that by making your partitions beforehand. I am 77 Bill. These things dont tire me, just keep me thinking.

1 Like

The partition dialog box wouldn’t write the partitions, no matter how many times I told it ‘yes.’

And, btw, ‘#void-installer’ wouldn’t run in the voidlumina live build–needed an argument or something.

I’ll try overlaying Ubuntu with Lumina–can’t stand Gnome3 anyway.

One thing we have both learned–beating one’s head against a brick wall more than twice is a good reason to quit and/or look for a door.

1 Like

I had better look at that.
You have to be superuser… I guess that is what the # is

If you simply remove gnome, then install lumina, in a running system like your Ubuntu, apps like the browser should just survive and come up in the lumina menu.
You might lose your Gnome terminal. Need to put in some terminal, eg a plain xterm.

Hi @Akito ,
I have finally conquered how to use grub to boot a Void Linux .iso file.
And… surprise result both the Void base download iso , and my voidlumina.iso boot successfully

So you issue with Hyper-V is not caused by voidlumina.iso being ill-configured to boot from the fiile on HD. My theory about dracut modules was wrong.
That menu you get with Hyper-V with 3 items - Void, Void(RAM), and Boot first HD …I think that comes from isolinux. So Hyper-V is behaving like the .iso file was on a DVD or a USB drive. I do not get that menu when I boot the .iso file with grub.

For the record here is my 40_custom file from /etc/grub.d

nevj@mary:/etc/grub.d$ cat 40_custom
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Void ISO" {
        set isoname="void-live-x86_64-20210930.iso"
	set isofile="/home/nevj/Downloads/void-live-x86_64-20210930.iso"
	echo "Using ${isoname}..."
	loopback loop $isofile
        probe --label --set=cd_label (loop)
        bootoptions="iso-scan/filename=$isofile findiso=$isofile
 root=live:CDLABEL=$cd_label init=/sbin/init ro rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 
rd.dm=0 loglevel=4 vconsole.unicode=1 vconsole.keymap=us 
locale.LANG=en_US.UTF-8"
	linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz $bootoptions
	initrd (loop)/boot/initrd
}
menuentry "VoidLumina ISO" {
        set isoname="voidlumina.iso"
	set isofile="/home/nevj/Downloads/voidlumina.iso"
	echo "Using ${isoname}..."
	loopback loop $isofile
        probe --label --set=cd_label (loop)
        bootoptions="iso-scan/filename=$isofile findiso=$isofile 
root=live:CDLABEL=$cd_label init=/sbin/init ro rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 
rd.dm=0 loglevel=4 vconsole.unicode=1 vconsole.keymap=us 
locale.LANG=en_US.UTF-8"
	linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz $bootoptions
	initrd (loop)/boot/initrd
}

So I cant reproduce your issue.
It might help if someone could try voidlumina.iso in VirtualBox. I know it works in Gnome Boxes.

There is another issue found by @berninghausen
In voidlumina.iso the `void-installer’ command does not work
That is for another day. There is an important football match tonight

Thanks for help and advice
Neville

1 Like

Indeed, Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns, as well as USWNT and USMT, games have priority over Linux hobby efforts. Local microbrewed porters and stouts come into play as well.

Cheers!

1 Like

My team lost.
However have solved the void-installer issue
void-installer uses a command called dialog, and it is not installed
You can install it with
xbps-install dialog
then void-installer will work
all done as root of course.
And, of course , because you booted from the .iso file, the install will disappear when you shutdown.

`dialog is interesting, it draws little boxes on the screen ( or in a window if you use it in a window) and they can contain messages or do input. The void-installer uses dialog to talk to you.

If I ever remake voidlumina.iso, I will make sure it is installed.
Neville

Trying out the voidlumina.iso that our own @nevj put together. I can say it booted
just fine with VirtualBox being run on Gentoo.

Lets wind this up with a summary
There have been some minor issues with voidlumina.iso, but it boots fine from a usb drive, direct from the file using grub2, or in Gnome Boxes or Virtualbox.

Thanks to @Akito , @4dandl4 , and @berninghausen for testing and reporting issues, and thanks to @clatterfordslim for guiding me to Sourceforge?

Neville

2 Likes