Manjaro my impressions of it not a complete review

With a lot of good reviews of it I thought I’d give Manjaro a try. I used the latest version 18.04 and the XFCE desktop. Downloading a booting into the live session is fair straight forward although it is worth reading the notes before you do so.

Installing was different to many other Distros that I have tried, but not too complicated and completed fairly quickly. One thing that did confuse me was on the first boot it wasn’t that clear what to do, but that may be me and not it.

Without doubt it is a great Distro, while not (in my opinion) as user friendly as Mint or Ubuntu are, I really can not fault it. It does make you think a bit more than Mint does and that is not a bad thing as it helps to avoid mistakes. I found no problem with installing any thing, nor setting the printer and wifi. Okay a bit of a codicil here, Chrome, I couldn’t find a way to install during my trial, but as it has Chromium in the software packs it doesn’t really matter. Updating was also easy and I loved the fact you could chose what kernels to use.

So the conclusion I have come to is that it is worth all the good reviews it has and is a good alternative to the Debian and Ubuntu based Distros out there. I am not going to make the switch from Mint, but if ever there came a time when I might do so then, I think I would switch to Manjaro given my experience of it over the last couple of days.

5 Likes