MaruOS - new major release

https://maruos.com/blog/2019/announcing-maru-0.6-okinawa.html

I’ve been using MaruOS - on and off - since I first heard about it in 2016…

Basically - if you’ve got a Nexus 5 (and later on Nexus 7 tablet) - you could run a Debian Jessie XFCE desktop in a chroot - and display the XFCE desktop over SlimPort -> HDMI adaptor… pair up bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and you have a pocket-sized battery powered portable Linux desktop… and you could even SSH to your phone!

I stopped using the Nexus 5 as my daily phone handset a tad over 12 months ago (the battery just doesn’t cut it - and they don’t have expandable storage - i.e. no SDCard) - but it still sits on my desk at home and I can SSH to it… I did try out Ubuntu touch on it - by the time I got to the end - it seemed pointless, a barely functioning phone operating system? So switched it back to MaruOS.

Anyway - Maru 0.6 Okinawa now runs on Android 8.1.0 (from LineageOS) - and does Debian Stretch now - and - you can cast the XFCE desktop to a ChromeCast! And given it’s Debian Stretch on ARM, many binaries for Raspbian should probably work on it (i.e. only an apt-get away).

I’m still tempted to go for a Note 9 with Linux on Dex… but I’ll keep an eye on this in the interim… Knowing Samsung - they’ll probably drop (maybe even disable) the Linux on Dex feature (and they limit it to Note9 and Tab S4 ) anyway…

Anyway - I know what I’ll be doing next couple of days - upgrading my Nexus5 to MaruOS 0.6 Okinawa

2 Likes

that sounds like a lot of fun. you’ll have to let us know how the upgrade goes :slight_smile:

done it three or four times - it’s never “fun” :wink: - it’s a bit of a PITA…

and “lot of fun” reminds me of the greeter you still get in Suse, “Have a lot of fun!” I remember seeing that - first time I ever tried Suse (7.x in the early 2000s?)… I’m part German myself (both my grossmutters spoke it at home before they started school in Australia) - but I still find it wry, and a tad ironic, when a German tries to sound “funny”…

du wirst Spaß haben!

Spaß zu haben ist verboten!

Sie werden es genießen

and also makes me think of the “blinkenlights” meme…

No offence to any Germans on this forum :wink:

2 Likes

Did the install - re-instated g-apps for Play Store access…

Took the phone to work - wired it up to a HDMI 24" display on my desk - paired a BT keyboard and connected to work’s wifi - and I’ve got Maru’s XFCE debian stretch desktop running! - But there-in lies the problem - the link between my desktop gigabit ethernet, and the “corporate” wifi is practically unusable - it’s probably worse ( or seems so ) than dial up!

Unusable in this “use case” scenario… Tried using Synergy (Symless) KVM to share mouse and keyboard to my Ubuntu laptop and Win10 laptop - over wifi - it was a “no go”…

It’s a noble idea - “convergence” - one portable device to do everything (I still remember walking around with a Palm Pilot, an MP3 player and a mobile phone!)… but it’s a non-goer for me…

Especially as the only device I have that will run Maru - is my Nexus 5 - a great handset 6 years ago… but the battery (already replaced it once) is woeful, and it’s only got 32 GB storage, and NO expandable storage via SD-Card… anyway - it’s on charge on my home wifi - so I can SSH to it if I ever wanna take another look at it :

New article about Maru :
https://latenightlinux.com/late-night-linux-episode-59/?fbclid=IwAR0atdjJmg24a0AEExrTHnBoPoNg7dQhAL7cBnpNHiIkSYKc_pHLLBmOzLc

1 Like