Micro SD cards for things like Raspberry Pi

did a quick google-fu, and someone here : Testing SD Cards with Linux | Chris Collins suggested using “disks” util that comes stock with gnome distros (like ubuntu)…
i.e. hit super key and type disks, and there’s a benchmarking tool!!!
Just graphing a circa 2018 64 GB Sandisk “Ultra” VS an 2015/16 16 GB Sandisk “Ultra”… and the bigger one is wiping the floor with the smaller one…
That would explain the “anecdotal” lag I’m getting with my current build of RaspbiOS arm64 on a 16 GB micro SD card.
At some stage, I want to cutover to having just the bootloader watchamacallit on SD card, but boot the rest from faster USB3 storage…

16 GB “Ultra” :

64 GB “Ultra” :

128 GB “Ultra” :

(which I was using for elementary arm64 on RPi4 4GB model)

I think what they’re saying, the bigger (and newer) cards are capable of higher write speeds (but the troughs indicate they can drop lower than the smaller capacity cards)…

Bear in mind - I’m aware there’s an “industry” of fake cards on e-bay and such, and I think I might have bought all my 16 GB cards off e-bay (for my shitty Pine64 boards) - so it’s entirely possible the 16 GB cards I have are not really “Ultra”… Don’t remember where I got this specific 64 GB card from, could have been e-bay, could have been something like OfficeWorks (stationery and office supply retail chain stores).

I’m hoping to see something higher when my Samsungs arrive, as the Samsung Evo Plus/+ are rated at 100 Mb/s read…

1 Like