Mint 20.2: Should I stay (with 19.3) or should I go (to Uma)?

Back when Mint 20 first deployed, I tried upgrading using the Mint official procedures. It broke the system, probably around Python 3.
This forum offered supportive comments that there was nothing wrong with staying put, if I did not want to try a clean install.
So now, the geekosphere is abuzz with reviews and tips around 20.2, code name Uma. But I am quite content with Mint as it is, and seriously shy about messing stuff up again. My first and strongest inclination is to stay. If there is any reasonable likelihood that my previous Python issues may be resolved with the new one, it MIGHT be worth the 3 hours of my time to try again.
As for a clean install, I think I would prefer waiting for 19’s end of life or other indicators of obsolescence.

Opinions?

1 Like

I’m on Uma XFCE edition, used the upgrade path through update manager. If you’re happy with 19.3 then stay on it, you have two years left. There isn’t much that’s different in 20.04.2, unless you’re using the Cinnamon edition, with more widgets, less memory used etc. I’m a XFCE fan boy, nice and light. I only upgraded as a test, to see if it’ll work or not and yes it did. I have also downloaded the ISO 2GB in total. As I called this originally as it was Ulyssa, just have to change it to Uma, will do a fresh install somewhen, at the moment nothing has mucked up. All my settings are still there, my files and my own theme is working too. They have not changed the theming round, still the same with overshoot or undershoot lines -------------- going through the themes, the same as when they started with the 19 series of 18.04. This is why I put my own theme in.

Hi I have updated from LM 20.1 to 20.2 without problems. I think when you come from any thing below 20 you first to update to 20.1 and then to 20.2

update went fine here 20.2 working well. Though if you are happy with 19.3 no reason really to change.

I done a fresh install Uma ISO of XFCE, buggy as anything. Went to remove the minimise Windows show desktop icon, off of the panel it deleted the panel instead. Then I started getting booted out to the login screen, when trying to mount my external hard drive, had to put my password in twice on the login screen to get back in. Then I had to use right click to open Thunar, then open hidden files. Delete XFCE4-panel script, logout then back in again, then the panel came back. I thought right can’t put up with this, going back to 20.04.1 Ulyssa. That’s what I’ve done and everything is perfect on Ulyssa. If you’re upgrading from the upgrading GUI, then you won’t see any bugs, because upgrading from the upgrading GUI is not a full upgrade, AFAIT (As Far As I Think, which ain’t that far.)

I made the HUGE mistake of upgrading from Linux Mint 19.3 to 20. Had NO sound at all. Searched for remedy, nothing helped - still not sound. Then upgraded to 20.2 - same thing NO Sound. The developers really, really messed up this upgrade. They manage to make my machine resemble an early 80’s computer, well I do have the GUI stuff. Really disappointing. Considering going back to 19.3.

What have you tried to fix the sound issues?
Please give us an overview of the system by going to a terminal and typing this command and posting the output here.

inxi -Fxxxzr

Take a look here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1265137/avoid-missing-kernel-linux-modules-extra-xx-generic-when-updating-kernel

I think you should upgrade to Uma using the Upgrader.
I always prefer updates.

Thank you

I would show you the output from inxi -Fxxxzr but your posting system will not let me. Get message that a new user can not have two links in a post. Don’t have any idea how the output of this file could be considered as “links” containing. If someone can give me help here, I would love the help.

Tying using a screen shot - last line or two is missing …

I don’t have the ‘dummy output’, just have the HDMI things shown in the graphic below.

If you have trouble adding stuff here, you might as well use a Pastebin service:

Having no success with any solutions offered, I purchased an external sound card (connected vis USB). Attached this sucker to my system and everything functioned perfectly – good quality sound. So, what happened? Don’t really know; either Mr Murphy visited my machine and caused the sound card to die simultaneously with the upgrade or the upgrade does not for some reason recognize the old sound card. I am leaning toward the first option. Anyway, back online and all help offered was greatly appreciated.

From the sound of your issue description (haha) it definitely seems like it’s all related to a driver issue.

Did you check the vendor id or any of the other related ids for your default sound card and see if there is a driver available for it?

The other possibility is, that you were unlucky with the kernel. Sometimes newer kernel versions have bugs with hardware that have to be painfully discovered manually, first, before being fixed.

The rule of thumb for Linux and hardware compatability is:

The older the hardware the better the support for it on Linux.

1 Like