Mint 20 Cinnamon Migration

Moving Linux Mint 20 from USB to SSD?!?!?!
I have one “live” USB jump drive with Linux Mint 20.
Second 120GB USB jump drive running an installed Linux Mint 20 as if on HDD (I can boot to it and run it)

Current setup:
Stock Dell XPS8900
Internal SSD M2 (Windows 10) 500GB
One USB external drive 4TB
One internal HDD 4TB
Two hot swap HDD’s in a quad slot bay (250GB each)
In ALL options, my first step is to disconnect ALL drives except the SSD from the system.

Option A - Easiest (IMHO):
Given that I really don’t have THAT much extra running on the second USB, I tend to favor this method.

1. Forget cloning/moving. Just do a straight install from the “live” USB to the SSD and then rebuild what I had on the second USB drive (probably less than 3 hours total including breaks for tea).

Option B –

1. Use Clonezilla (It would be my first time using) to clone from operating USB jump drive to internal SSD
  2. Use Gparted to resize SSD

Option 3 –

1. Install Linux Mint 20 from “LIVE” USB onto SSD
  2. Use dd command (“dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sdy bs=100M status=progress”) to copy from second USB to SSD. Again it would be my first time using this command.

I’ll entertain ANY and ALL suggestions, comments, ideas, thoughts, rants, etc.

Well @7blade, IMHO Linux Mint is a great choice. If it was up for a vote, I would vote on option A. It seems to me to be the best option b/c you know it will work.
Option B - I used once and it work Great! But, it was HDD to HDD. The only warning I read was that the receiving partition had to the same or greater in size.
No opinion on Option C. Never used it.

2 Likes

Option A is the only one I use. I start by backing up any data that I want to save on an external drive. Then a clean install, formatting the destination. I install Synaptic Package Manager, then my chosen programs (Dropbox, KMyMoney, maybe VLC), and copy my data files from the external drive into the places they go, mostly in the Home folder someplace. Most of this data is current project stuff, since all data intended for semi-permanent or archive storage is already on the external drive. I never store any data at all in the working distribution.

@easyt50, I went with option A.
Just seamed to be the best overall.
The SSD was in split up into 8 partitions by Windows so I used Gparted to delete them all and then ran the live USB to install.
Except for the system being VERY slow after idol overnight, all is well and purring like a kitten. The sluggishness was resolved by a reboot.
The whole system is working MUCH faster than Windows.

1 Like

@berninghausen, I used option A cause the others just didn’t feel comfortable to me as I have cloned drives before (not under linux) and they ALWAYS had issues but that was last century when the driver install order mattered.
I never heard of KMyMoney but I installed it to give it a try.

Thank you for the tips. Sound advise for anyone.