Missing devices in mnt

Good morning!

I did a clean install with ulyssa today. In mnt there are no devices listed although all harddrives have been mounted and are accessible, anyone got any ideas?

Thank you!

Did you look in /media?

2 Likes

Are your hard drives built in or are they plugged in via USB?

You would also probably not find the drive your system is installed on in mnt but rather in /dev/sdXY where X ∈ {a,b,c,…} and Y∈ {1,2,3,…}. However: These directories are not meant to be accessed directly by the user.

2 Likes

What @Akito said : /mnt is generally used (e.g. in online examples) to manually mount something

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

or

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /some/arbitrary-folder-that-exists/anywhere-on-my-root-fs

in fact - with manually mounting - you could in theory mounting anything, nearly anywhere - e.g. you can mount a Samba share in mountpoint that’s actually a subfolder of an NFS mountpoint - but please don’t remind me of such nightmare scenarios :smiley:

2 Likes

Did just now! There are 2 from 6 devices listed. My problem is with programs like Clementine… They do not offer “other locations” when data needs to be imported. My way round it was to go to mnt and click on the drive, however that was just my solution and I am sure there are better ways. I also have the same problem when I need to import photos…“other locations” are not offered. Due to the size of my music collection and photos having them in home is not a viable concept

Lol!!! That I am not going to do!!!

They are all built in drives… I wrote an answer to Akito to show what me real problem is…
Hugsie,

Ute

Possibly I’m telling you what you already know. When I plug in a new disk, I do the following:

$ sudo blkid

blkid stands for block device identifier and can be anything from a hard disk, a DVD to a connected pen-drive.

and I get a list like this:

/dev/sda1: UUID="abc" UUID_SUB="def" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="ghi"
/dev/sda2: UUID="jkl" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="mno"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="hdd" UUID="pqr" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="stu"

If I now want access to the second hard disk I open the file /etc/fstab e.g. with:

$ sudo nano /etc/fstab

and add a line like:

UUID=pqr /home/mina/data ext4 defaults,nofail 0 1

I then create an empty directory with

$ mkdir data

and execute

$ sudo mount -a

The a option stands for all.
Now, if you reboot your computer, it should be mounted in the right place, right from the beginning. The nofail option in the /etc/fstab file is especially useful if it is a removable device. With this option missing and the device not plugged in, your system will fail to boot.

BTW: I didn’t know the music player Clementine until you just mentioned it. It’s very nice, and I definitely see all my mounted disks, even those mounted from my other computer.

2 Likes