Mobile internet connection (4G stick): problems after maintenance work at base station

Hi @Akito, :wave:

thanks for your wonderful and detailed account of how Wi-Fi works with all its downsides and pros as well. :+1:

In fact I am using a Wi-Fi dongle as well, but just in those special situations when I need to print something with my wireless printer (situated in another room).
This works very well as those two rooms aren´t very far apart. Of course at the time of printing I have no internet connection available, which doesn´t matter … as I switch over to my Huawei 4G stick when I´m done printing.

So when asking

I was actually referring to the topic discussed above, i.e. the problems with the 4G LTS mobile connection (cell-tower etc.)

So you answered:

It´s the “Yes”-part which seems important to me.

So I guess basically the following it´s true for Wi-Fi and mobile connections:

up- and download speeds are directly or indirectly connected to signal strength :blush:

That would - at least in part - explain why I now get 4 out of five bars for signal strength and up- and download speeds have improved significantly.

Thanks so much for your help.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

WiFi is garbage (it’s a neat solution - with 80+ year old “spread spectrum” algorithms - helped by the famous Hedi Lamarr - but contrary to all the bullshit - she DID NOT invent “WiFi”) , even when I first had WiFi at my last house, I ran UTP throughout the house, e.g. WiFi back then wasn’t up to par for streaming video content on a local (in the same house) content full screen… what year was that? 2003?

WiFi is cripped by the fact that it is vulnerable, so there’s a massive encryption bottleneck, ethernet can be hacked sure, but in the average household? Probably at the consumer grade level, but not in tech-savvy households…

Gimme gigabit ethernet over twisted pair anyday - I’ve LOVE to sample some of the other faster ethernet options, but the price-point for consumer grade, low power, ethernet switches doesn’t make faster speeds price competitive… I’ve never hit a situation where I thought “gigabit isn’t fast enough for me” - except for work stuff e.g. where a 4 Gbit backplane was faster than the shitty 5400 rpm hard drives in a NAS solution… almost everyone is still playing catchup with everyone else…

I’d don’t want high speed (vulnerable) wifi access to my NAS, I want reliable, reasonably secure, ETHERNET access…

If I need a file on my home LAN from the wild west web, I have two options, SSH/SFTP/SCP to my RPi3 on a non-standard SSH port - or - OpenVPN…

3 Likes

Yes, with my general explanation I basically wanted to say, that Wi-Fi can cause lots of issues and connection problems might be related to Wi-Fi connections in a variety of ways. So, I gave a couple of general examples portraying the ways Wi-Fi can go wrong.

Applying it to your scenario, it means we can never be a 100% sure it wasn’t related to Wi-Fi, however I found it most probable that it should be related to the maintenance work.

1 Like

Thanks @Akito for the clarification.

Seems reasonable indeed. :blush:

Well, as already said, maintenace woes seem to be over and if it stays the way it´s right now I´ll be more than glad. :smiley:

Thanks a lot and many greetings
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like