Mouse Setup Advice

Greetings Ubuntu Geniuses,

My son bought me a thumb drive version of Ubuntu. It is version 12.04. I love Linux and wish to dump Windblows! My current problem is getting my mouse to work. When I try to run the Ubuntu thumb drive it loads fine except there is no mouse support at all. My machine is a Lenovo model: Ideapad S145. It came with Windows but now I want to run Ubuntu. Any suggestions from you rocket scientists?

I truly thank you. larryrink@yahoo.com

This version of Ubuntu is so old, it is not even shown on the graph here:
https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle
You should urgently use a newer version, like 20.04 or 22.04 .

2 Likes

I thank you. Please tell me how may I get and setup the latest version. Could I download it and copy it to my thumb-drive? That seems easy enough.

1 Like

Hello.
@Akito is very right. You should use a new version of Ubuntu (20.04) or Linux Mint (20).
For creating a new bootable thumbdrive you have some options.
If you already (still) have Windows, you could follow this howto:

You can’t just copy the iso file to the thumbdrive. It has to be “installed” via one of the many tools that are around on Windows or GNU/Linux.
What are the specs of your machine (CPU, RAM, HDD, …)?
Maybe there is a need to alter the desktop environment to something “lighter”, if you have low memory and/or an older CPU…
Anyway, come back here, if there are any obstacles or further questions.
Greetings

1 Like

@Zardoz one thing that can cause problems installing ubuntu is the graphics card that your computer uses. the following command just asks your computer to list that card and some information about it. if you could copy and paste it into a terminal (and then press enter) and post the output here, we might be able to let you know if it could possibly give you any trouble:
lspci -v | grep -i graphics

this is what mine looks like:

$ lspci -v | grep -i graphics
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Lenovo 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller

say what now?

1 Like

My machine is about one year old. I would like to know the names of the Windows apps that can update my thumb drive, please. I now have a copy of 18.04 ready to update to.

I am 63 and am familiar with Libre and gedit on both Windows and Linux. But I’m no wizard.

if you click on any of the blue words below, your internet browser should take you to a page that has both a written description of how to update your thumb drive and a video at the bottom.

2 Likes

My thanks to all! I now have ver. 20.04 and it has the mouse working great. My new problem is no internet connection. Mine is wireless and I must learn how to set it up properly. I do know the name and password for it, I just don’t know “How” to make it happen. :frowning:

1 Like

it is usually helpful to start a new thread or topic for a new question so people will know you are looking for some help with that new topic since the title of this one is about your mouse.

2 Likes