MX ahs install, etc.,

So I am continuing working the MX setup. I am excited because this is not like other distros, so a lot of learning involved; which I enjoy.

The way to install apps is so unique from what I have seen, using the MX Package Installer vs a “store.” And so many options! I was surprised at how many apps that I normally have to download to install were already there.

Having to figure out the workspace thing. So far, have not found a way to move an open app to a different desktop. So just closing it and reopening on the appropriate one. Once I get my rhythm down, this will not be an issue as I know exactly where to open different ones.

Sheila Flanagan

2 Likes

They may be earlier versions that what you get with a download. Generally speaking it is better to use the package
version if you can.

I am glad you got there with MX. It is a nice experience.

Hi Sheila,
I’m completely lost in this thread, but I think you’re talking about MX Linux “ahs” and you want to move program windows between different workspaces, correct?
If not, please ignore this post.

On my MX, I use the CTRL + UP ARROW keys and CTRL + DOWN ARROW keys to switch between workspaces.

To move a window to other workspace, I click on the title bar with the right mouse key, a menu opens and I choose which workspace I want the window to be moved to, example:

Jorge

2 Likes

You’re a genius. Would you believe every forum I visited did not say “right”–they just said click the title bar. Sheesh. I thought there must be some setting I need first cause I am not getting that option by left-clicking the title bar.

I just tried it and it works! I knew how to use keyboard controls to move between them, and, of course, I can always just close the app, move to the right workspace and then reopen, but I knew there had to be a way.

Thanks @Tech_JA

Sheila

1 Like

One of my most valuable, very early lessons (dating back to very early Windows or CP/M) was to always check the right-click dropdown menu. I can’t claim to be brilliant or prescient; it was probably sheer dumb luck.

2 Likes

Are there any rules ? Or can GUI’s do anything they like and
expect us to tag along happily?

Not only that, but not ALL windows will move. Not sure yet of the pattern, but like Obsidian, installed from the MX Installer “Flatpak” will not do anything if you right click or left click the top of the window. Likewise with Steam.

So you would think there would be some consistency. Nonetheless, I am used to workarounds…lol.

Sheila

There are things called Plasmids that dont move… but I think only in KDE.

I guess I installed KDE thinking I am familiar with it so it might make “doing things” easier. But now I am thinking “not.” There are too many options in the menu as it seems to include both KDE & Debian?

By installing it as an option with MX, does that mean I can still log out and log back in without the KDE? Can I remove it?

Just noticing a lot of difference between the server (Debian bookworm 12) and this OS. It feels more cluttered (I think that’s the word I am looking for) than the server’s OS, and more difficult to learn to find things.

Debian 12 is using Plasma Wayland, but yet I am not finding the issues I had with Fedora Wayland. For instance, I can use the same RDP for the server now as all other home network machines. In Fedora, that app would report “Not supported in Wayland.”

Whereas, it appears to me, MX is using an X session with the KDE desktop added to it. I do believe Kubuntu uses Plasma and that is how I thought of “KDE”. Not sure I understand all the differences, but there are definitely nuances, some subtle and some not so. I would like to see MX ahs without KDE, now.

Thanks,
Sheila

Do you have another DE installed?

• if so you can safely remove KDE, or you can leave it and it should show as a choice in lightdm screen
  • if not, you need to install another DE… just find the package and do apt-get install… just like any other app.
    I use Xfce in MX.
2 Likes

OK, so that shift to Debian has to be called a success

1 Like

I thought that was the default “installed” DE? Cause that is what I want. Get rid of KDE and just use that. So I would need to install Xfce before getting rid of KDE, since it did not install it when I chose KDE?

Thanks
Sheila

2 Likes

Absolutely! Couldn’t be happier.

Sheila

2 Likes

Just wanted to update here concerning MX ahs install on my Acer laptop, which previously had Pop OS installed.

The main reason I was looking to switch OS is because everytime an update required a restart, it would restart and come to the login screen on the external monitor, I would login, then it would go blank. I would open the laptop, blank as well. No matter what I tried, could never bring up any display. Always required a hard reboot for a second time and then it would come back up on the laptop screen only, then I could close the lid and it would display on external monitor.

Have no idea why this was happening, but since installing MX, the issue is gone. Have restarted 3-4 times already without having to lift the lid to get back my ext monitor display.

Of course, I still have some issues when playing Windows casual games: upon exiting said game, the “mirror display” will be unchecked and I will be back to the situation where desktop is on ext monitor, panel & cursor are on laptop screen. But the window is open for display settings on the desktop (on ext monitor), so all I do is “space bar” to select mirror, tab to “apply,” and everything is back as it should be WITHOUT a reboot.

I have issues similar to this on every Linux distro, including LM, it’s just a different problem-resolution for each. I think, especially older games, cannot deal with current high display resolutions, so system is switched in order to play, and does not automatically switch back.

Sheila

3 Likes

Yes.
If you dont want kde, I would apt-get purge it after you install xfce and reboot. Two DE’s can clash if they both write on the same dot file.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be nice, Neville, if there were rules requiring everyone to behave predictably? Alas, we have to check the right-click menu every time to see what treasures are hidden there. It’s part of the fun of Linux.

Well no. Freedom is a gift. We have to use it wisely.

3 Likes

Well… Unless you make a mistake like me and press the right mouse key first rather than the left…
I’m left-handed and I’ve never got used to swapping mouse keys, because I’ve always used use shared PCs, both at home and at work, and often, especially when I’m tired, I make a mistake and there go a few clicks on the right key. It’s like I’m always looking for Easter eggs :grin:

Jorge

6 Likes

Well I finally figured out how to move those apps/windows that do not have a menu drop down upon “right-click.” I had seen a pop up a few times when moving over the panel icons for different workspaces, but was not sure about “…begin dragging…” option. So today I was on a workspace where the open window needed to move to a different one and I was able to select the “lit up” icon in that tiny panel area and “dragged” it to the workspace I wanted. Voila!

So now I know how to use the right-click menu. And for those inconsistent windows without that: drag and drop on the panel to the correct workspace.

Thanks,
Sheila

4 Likes