My first Debian attempt - And a second one

It looks like iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode
is needed for my Dell latitude e4310.

Why is it not more simple.to install a distro that @Akito prefers ?

And that according to DISTROWATCH is 6th in the preferences

|1| MX Linux |3863|
|2| Manjaro |2670|
|3| Mint |2367|
|4| Ubuntu |1594|
|5| Pop!_OS |1542|
|6| Debian |1417|

I am not enthusiastic about this.

1 Like

Hi Roger,
It seems to be an on going problem with some Linux Distro and the internet. I remember a lot of posts about internet connection problems and Ubuntu. Number 4 on your list.
You could try doing a search here on Its Foss and/or a search on the web to see if there is an error like yours that may solve your PC problem.

I am currently testing MX Linux also a Debian base Linux. Two installs went fine. One on a laptop and the other a desktop. A third install on the same laptop on another SSD show I have a Wifi connection but the MX OS acts as if I am not connected. I plan to download the Distro again and re-install MX to see if that clears up my problem.
Good Luck.

You can get Debian “non official” ISO install DVD / CDRom images that have all the non-free binary blobs included… just google for it…

e.g. : https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

When I do Debian (i.e. other than on RPi) - however - I usually find the drivers (deb files) and put them on yet another thumb drive so the installer can find them - but 'cause I’m so incredibly lazy - most times I can’t even be bothered to do that - so I’ll have the machine wired to ethernet during the installation, as most NIC / ethernet card drivers are free / OSS - just to get the beast online, pending locating wifi drivers…

Thank you @daniel.m.tripp and @easyt50

I was able to

1. get the iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode file with another computer,
  2. put it on the same stick I used to install Debian
  3. continue the installation on a Dell e4310.

My second question is about Firefox ESR.
Wow !! Is this version really stable and won’t be upgraded every 2 weeks ?

It gets updates too, but not so frequent. I think those are security updates, there are no new features or such.

2 Likes

@Akito

I was able to add myself in the sudoers … :grinning:

I chose MATE over Xfce or Cinnamon because I know MATE.

Unfortunately the MATE in Mint is different than the MATE in Debian.

Why do versions make it so complicated ? :weary:

1 Like

It just looks so, believe me :slight_smile:
Now I don’t remember all of the steps, but when hopping to Debian I also had some missing “parts”.
Installing these gets closer to what you (and me too) used to.
So, this is a list of packages, probably you don’t need all of them:
openssh-server earlyoom
gparted gnome-disk-utility
rsync smartmontools sysstat htop lshw
cups cups-client foomatic-db system-config-printer
intel-microcode firmware-linux
bluetooth rfkill blueman bluez bluez-tools pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
pavucontrol
mate-menu font-manager caja-open-terminal plank lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings gnome-system-tools
qt5ct qt5-style-plugins qt4-qtconfig
ttf-mscorefonts-installer
va-driver-all vdpau-driver-all
samba smbclient python3-smbc gigolo gvfs-fuse
gdebi

Other aspect is to take your panel to the bottom, add advanced MATE menu, etc…
Have a nice time during customizing your Debian!
:wink:
This is my Debian on my laptop, as you can see it actually is not so different from Mint, apart from theme:

1 Like

Thanks for your effort but my way is much faster.
Just delete Debian and replace it.

Looks like a dead ringer with my ancient laptop… :slightly_smiling_face:
(Though only 1.3MiB RAM) Edit: and no use of Swap virtual memory either :wink:

Dead ringer
Your idiom is lost for me @Andy2 .

Sorry.
I am confused. :confused:

Do you mean something like

?

1 Like

No - nothing to do with Covid or Black Plague; simply duckduckgo dead ringer and you get first up…

It originates from your side of the pond -
We use it for exact duplicate or very much like over here…
Good job I wasn’t using Cockney Rhyming Slang or mentioned Septic Tank… :joy:

Stay Safe :mask:

Ok, then

is supposed to be a good thing or not?
I want the facts not an interpretation.
Thanks
And good Sunday to you @Andy2 too.

You asked so I gave an answer and a link - how good is that? :face_with_monocle:

Yes - a good dead ringer - let’s play spot the difference :joy:

Remember me ? :grinning: :grinning:
I am the guy who tried to install debian on a DELL Latitude e4310, where I was asked to make the iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode file available while it refuses to see the file.

So the installation is made without network and after rebooting, I get a console/terminal.

PITA

Same thing on the DELL Latitude D830 where it takes
b43/ucode5.fw
b43/ucode5.fw
b43-open/ucode5.fw
b43-open/ucode5.fw
As you can see, it stupidly asks for them twice.

Yet the Latitude d830 has a

Device-2: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN vendor: Dell Wireless 1390

and yes the Latitude e4310 has a

Device-2: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

I looked some places and all I can get are deb files.
I do not want to install packages I want the files :

iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode
        b43/ucode5.fw
        b43-open/ucode5.fw

OTOH, I know my HP p6506f has
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet
vendor: Hewlett-Packard Compaq 500B Microtower driver: r8169 v: kernel
port: e800 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8136
IF: ens33 state: down mac: 1c:c1:de:5b:73:62
Device-2: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe vendor: Lite-On
driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 port: e800 bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 1814:3090
IF: wls35 state: down mac: 70:f1:a1:b4:09:16
Device-3: Realtek RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter type: USB
driver: r8188eu bus ID: 1-7:5 chip ID: 0bda:8179
IF: wlxd03745f6d43d state: up mac: d0:37:45:f6:d4:3d

But the stupid DEBIAN can’t even see the USB dongle TL-WN725N.

MISERE

1 Like

Thar stupid Debian needs non-free firmwares for that HW.
Either get an install medium with the nonfree blobs, or enable nonfree repo and install them.
I could provide you help doing this, but I’m afraid you already gave up with Debian.

1 Like

Here are 13 distros I have tried.
I have listed them in order of preference.

debian-10.7.0-amd64-netinst.iso the very worst
trisquel_9.0_amd64.iso
archlinux-2021.01.01-x86_64.iso
linux-lite-5.2-64bit.iso

The first four, I was never able to get the wifi working.

The other eight are ok and again in order of preference :

antiX-19-runit_x64-base.iso
pclinuxos64-kde5-magnum-2020.1015.iso
I think MX-19 is just a better antiX
Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-33-1.2.iso
kubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64.iso
Zorin-OS-15.3-Core-64-bit.iso
manjaro-xfce-20.2.1-210103-linux59.iso
linuxmint-20.1-mate-Ulyssa-64bit.iso the best to my liking.

I would have liked to see what Debian looked like
but if I can’t install it easily ; I think it is is not worth the game.

Thanks anyway for your offer @kovacslt.

I admit I am used to PnP and I fully understand why so many people sneer at Linux users.

4 Likes

Hi @kovacslt as I have told Roger so many times check in with h-node first and then if you still insist on installing just buy…

… So simple - guaranteed to work - You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink :horse: :tropical_drink: :joy:

Before you send more of the smelly stuff on this board @Andy2
I must tell you that I have just sent money to ThinkPenguin.com
in order to get the Penguin Wireless N USB Adapter for GNU / Linux (TPE-N150USB) - $39.97 SKU: AR9271 (TPE-N150USB)

• Extended Warranty & Support: 90 Day Limited Warranty
  • USB Extension Cable: Select

It better run on the first try
or
I’ll never talk to you again.
Promised.

Cordially,
Roger

2 Likes

Hi Roger, I still think you are a little confused as to where the first sample of the smelly stuff came from - I think it came from Akito’s outburst - excuse the pun - :joy: on @Rosika topic for Advice on OS Quote:-

“but to me it seems like the average user wouldn’t give a single piece of flying pig shit, if their computer uses…” - "Trisquel will be the slowest in productivity… etc.” :roll_eyes:

Please tell us all if you know of an earlier post of such :airplane: :pig: :poop: cr4P…? :wink: :pig_nose: scratch’n’sniff :crazy_face:

That aside I am so pleased that you have at long last; like me with Trisquel, made a donation to the FsF by purchasing this USB-2 Wifi adapter. I am seeing $49.99 at the checkout - could you say if you think your price is expensive for such an item that makes so many claims. In my experience all gnulinux and FsF are both true and not subject to exaggeration.
However having said that - if you have read the extensive specification listings and therefore know what to expect regarding your requirements all should be good.

If we are wrong :cold_face: I am going to end up with egg on my face or even worse some of Akito’s flying pig shit :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :woozy_face: :confounded: and a shed load of humble pie. :pie: I will of course fully reimburse you regarding any bad advice from me.
I can confirm that all my tests are genuine and not doctored in any way and their efficacy is backed up by independent experts like those at ubuntupit dot com. I take it for granted that your tests are of the same ilk. I wish you good luck and have fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

Hey Dude, you may not get the pleasure :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :rofl: as I am being intimidated via PM by Mina with threat of a ban and therefore cannot respond to the pathetic vile abuse :nauseated_face: endorsed by two moderators, on my Trisquel Review post as I am being fitted-up there by entrapment. Guess the truth can hurt some and must be snuffed out at all cost by those in charge. Wish it was out in the open for all to see rather than this tacky underhand manner… :wink: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :shushing_face:

By the way - as you have tested so much across so many devices have you any idea as to why 32bit mini-Trisquel v8 is so light and fast on the 21 year old XP CAD station considering that it was home built and all…? If not who do I ask…?
I did another experiment on the LXDE Dell E6420 and juiced up mini-Trisquel v9 with popular heavy apps like full LibreOffice, GNU Image manipulation, Wine for my Serif MSoft professional software and more - it still runs fast and stable with no issues whatsoever and everything gets regular updates when I choose to. Still I need to bleachbit the drive or format it to try something else.

Cordially yours - Andy

Andy2,

You think I am confused.

You think the smell came from someonw else.

You think too much.

Let other people do whatever they want to.

I asked for advices and got advices.

I tried Trisquel on 4 computers and said that it did not recognized the wifi cards nor the TL-WN725N and you jumped the gun.

I truly believe that you are not smart enough to judge what the moderators say on a board where you are ( and so am I ) just a visitor or a host.

It is a matter of respect.

People have their preferences but they are not into religion.

I know what FOSS is supposed to be.

I also know that one cannot run all existing programs on all existing operating systems.

Most of my relatives use Windows. A few are rich enough to buy an Apple product or they just do not know better.

I may have made a donation to the FsF by purchasing this USB-2 Wifi adapter but it is just to proove you wrong.

I mean Microsoft and Apple make people buy new computers every 5-6 years.

And Trisquel make me but a USB wifi dongle.

What I want is an OS that will work on all my machines. And I found some.

Your tests may be genuine but you have only tested YOUR Trisquel.

I think you can stop pointing shit face to moderators.

Do you understand why moderator ask you to act differently ?

Cordially yours - Roger

3 Likes