No, Linux Mint is Not Going to Force Updates Like Windows - It's FOSS News

Just a heads-up to Linux Mint users :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This gave me a flashback to my grandmothers words ringing in my ears.
“Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear”.
Updates are a good thing, most of the time.
I generally wait a bit before invoking some updates (hardware drivers).

2 Likes

I believe, reminding people of due updates, is good policy.

BTW: Since when, is the feedback section under the articles powered by Disqus? I haven’t noticed until five minutes ago.

2 Likes

It’s been a while, only for It’s FOSS News portal. The main site has the same comment section as before. Abhishek is also keeping an eye for a better comment system for the news portal, which supports AMP.

1 Like

I think reminders are a good thing as long as they don’t become totally obtrusive.
Little shield in task bar with number of updates is fine by me.
The ability to pick or refuse an update is also very good in my opinion. I’ve stopped updating Firefox after reading some of the comments here.(thanks Daniel M Tripp)

3 Likes

I have no problem with Firefox or updating, as updating Linux is not a pain like it is on a certain proprietary system. Linux recognises straight away what bit you are, 32 or 64, where as Windows still downloads both, then works out what you’re running afterwards and sometimes has to re-download what it already done, it’s never gotten any better or ever been fixed. Linux just says yes whoosh there you go, only time to reboot is when a new kernel has been installed, or something that needs to be activated after reboot. Whenever there is a update I update straight away here in Mint Ulyssa XFCE edition.

Linux Mint has come a hell of along way, as they now use up to date software, where as before they were still using out of date software. Up to date as far as Ubuntu goes of course, but everything works and have had no gripes or anything. Just had update to Nemo as I don’t like Thunar in XFCE so make Nemo my default. Shame they don’t make Nemo default throughout their Linux Environments, it’s full of great context menu plugins that just work and as Linux Mint were the writers of Nemo, to me it just seems strange not to use it more in other environments. Easy to setup in whatever Linux you’re using, just make sure you do not uninstall the original intended file manager. I hide Thunar away in the background. I’m really impressed with Linux Mint, well done Clem and your team.

To be fair, there are many cases where both are actually needed. For example, all those C++ libraries basically spam every Windows installation, no matter which architecture, because you basically need them for most Windows applications.

Though, this works as you describe, because there is no other apparent alternative to that. You make your Linux distribution and most of the time you just pull packages from 3rd parties. When you make your own distribution specific packages, it also usually works different. See DietPi as an example.