Please introduce yourself

Hi everyone. I’m Randall Holmes, a math professor at Boise State University in Boise Idaho and only occasionally a user of Linux. I was a Unix user long ago. I’m actually here because I am trying to track down someone I was in contact with a long time ago who I think is on this list. I already sent them a note, but I thought I owed the rest of you an actual post introducing myself!

5 Likes

Thank you for doing so. It is always nice to know who is on here

2 Likes

Hi everyone. My name is Eric Simard.
I signed up a few weeks ago, took a while before I came back to post.
I am from Saskatchewan Canada and have been freezing for about 6 months now. Spring is slowly coming back, life will be more enjoyable.
I have been a Linux user for many years. I was around when RTFM was the most used word in the community and you compiled X server with “make world”…
I have used many distros, but mainly stick with Ubuntu variance (I can’t stand Gnome)
I have learned to use Linux through the CLI and currently working on building LFS again.
I unfortunately do not work in technology anymore due to some health condition. I try and write articles for https://linuxhandbook.com and record classes for skillshare and udemy.
I have not been very productive on that front either, but that is expected in my case with the winter in this country.
I hope I will be able to add to this community. Looking forward to help other when I can.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @Eric_Simard

Look forward to you contributions, there is a “tutorial” category you could add to, the majority of users in this forum, seem to be in the Ubuntu and Linuxmint camps. Would appreciate your experience and knowledge.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@rholmes

Welcome aboard, and finding a long lost friend.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

@Eric_Simard,
Welcome to the forum

2 Likes

Welcome Eric
looking forward to the contributions that you can make to the growth of our community. Enjoy your stay with us, we are nice and friendly here.

2 Likes

No, not Randall. Sorry.
Have a great day.

1 Like

Aloha! My name is Charlie! I’ve been using linux for… over 20 years, I suppose. I have used both Debian and Redhat, but have been happily using kubuntu for the past 10 years or so.

I’ve been following It’s FOSS on and off for some years. I’ve found some good answers here. I finally decided to join up and try to be a bigger part!

4 Likes

Hi @cfigura,
Welcome to the forum

1 Like

Hello Charlie, hope you enjoy your stay with our friendly community and looking forward to any contributions you make here

2 Likes

Welcome aboard Charlie :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, My name is Howard Amos. I live in the United States. I am retired from work for almost 20 years. My career started as a programmer trainee for Cobol on a IBM 360/30 mainframe with 32k memory using an IBM DOS operating system. Linux user since about 6 months off and on. I am using Mint 18.3 and Mint 19.1. Following Foss for about 3 months. I expect to find experienced users willing to share what they have learned and give a helping hand to new users like me. I would like to become so comfortable with Linux, that I replace windows on both my desktop and laptop. Before I retired, back in the 1990’s I was a backup Unix Admin for a short period of time.

6 Likes

@easyt50,
welcome to the forum

1 Like

Hi Howard
Nice to have some one with your long history here. Hope you enjoy your stay with our friendly community

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum, enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, Howard. Wow! you have seen the early days computing when a terminal was actually a terminal and not just an application like these days.

3 Likes

Hi Howard! Welcome! I have used everything just about computer wise. Been using linux for over ten years. I find it more reliable than windows. That being said, if you have questions, I’ll do the best I can to try to help out! Once again, welcome!.

2 Likes

You must have been around awhile too if you remember the old CRT’s.

1 Like

Hi Michael, Thanks for the offer. I do have one problem, but I won’t post it here. So far, I am liking the way Linux feel.

2 Likes