Please introduce yourself

Thanks. Looking forward to the interaction.

1 Like

I have seen them but never owned them. My first computer was a Celeron powered Compaq laptop back in 2005.

2 Likes

XFCE always works for me.

1 Like

Hi ElectricDandySlider,
Yes, long history! Feeling like a dinosaur sometimes. First computer job was in 1970, first PC in 1990 (A clone IBM 286 XT). Looking forward to learning a little bit about Linux.

4 Likes

Started same year as you on PDP-8 converting assembler into Octal and then keying in using 12 keys on front of cabinet. Software used in Newspaper companies to mainly hyphenate whatever language was needed ( Finnish in my case). First PC was Tandy on which I wrote programs for various industries but mainly newsagent delivery systems

7 Likes

Welcome to our community Jeff, have a nice time here and feel free to add your voice and experience here.

1 Like

I am Gordon Huddleston - I live in Montana,USA - I am a Landscape Artist (oil) - Have been a Linux user for three weeks (Ex-Windows10 user) - Have installed Ubuntu18.10 on both my desktop and laptop - Have been following It’s FOSS for two weeks - I am here to learn -

6 Likes

Hi Jeff, and here I thought I would be the oldest tech guy on this forum. I forgot and was not thinking of the gaming PC. My first PC actually was back in the eighties and it was an Atari 400. I actually got a Basic book and learn to write Basic programs on it. Are you new to Linux?

2 Likes

Hi Hud,
Welcome to the forum. I’m also a new guy here and to Linux.
Did you install Linux in a dual-boot format?

1 Like

No - I completely did away with Windows 10 … only running Ubuntu 18.10

Hud

4 Likes

Welcome to the community. Please ask any questions you have, but take a look at the various sections as it might already have been answered, is my only advice for you and for all coming here for the first time. Enjoy your stay with us

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your welcome -

Hud

2 Likes

I used to program the Tandy PC in Basic + a bit of assembler thrown in. I have been using Linux since about 1997 (dual boot with Windows at first) but soon went 100% Linux (Ubuntu and now Mint) and have never looked back. Never had a problem with Mint but a couple of hiccups with Ubuntu that made me try Mint. Have been using Mint for about 4 years now.

4 Likes

Hi Jeff,
I am really new at Mint. I loaded it on a PC about 6 months ago and was taking a free course on Linux, but put is aside. Recently, I went back to finish the course and started playing with Linux again. I had problems with Linux and this tablet laptop. 1) Dual Boot failed to work. I had to find out how to update grud. 2) Being a tablet PC, the cursor was jumping all over the place. Temp fix was easy, but could not be saved. I had to find out how to disable the tablet screen on the PC. I have a Thinkpad X220 tablet. I have to say I like the feel of Linux Mint. Next, I need to learn how to recovery the system if the boot fails.

1 Like

Hello EasyT50,
whilst I have been using Mint for some while I have never had problems. It seems like you have a number of issues not sure if all are related to tablet. I always find it best to put my query into one of the Forums (Ubuntu seems to work for most Mint problems) and address each problem in turn. I have an I-pad courtesy of Optus otherwise only use a PC or very old laptop so no experience with Tablets.
There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on the Forums who can help with just about any problem. All the best in your quest for a solution.

2 Likes

While this is not really the place to do this as it is another subject, I accept that as you are new here so I will answer this for you. Before you start or if you restart, put in you install media, usb or whatever you used and press F2 to load it. When the black screen comes up with the white box with the choices in go to the second one down Start in compatibility mode and press enter. Let it do it’s stuff and then restart as normal. That is the answer to your question.

1 Like

Dunno… My first PC in the late 70’s or early 80’s was the Texas Instrument (TI 99/4a) I was in my mid 30’s or 40’s back then… before moving like a lot of others to the Commodore 64 and 128 systems.

Funny thing…
back then peripherals were just boxes connected to the mother board, via cables. Then they were like railroad cars, each tied to one another. Back then it was cool to have things all in one case.
We’ve now come full circle, with USB.

I Also worked for a short while on a unix system, where the "guru"s at work, treated it like it was a national security item… Not willing to give a newbie any help, for fear of job loss~!

Well, you won’t find any of that here! We’re all friends! …and share alike.

Charlie

2 Likes

As for the old CRT’s… you mean the ones that were so old, their cathodes were almost devoid of material so the brightness and contrast were almost too faded to see in normal light, and one had to shade the screen to see it…thru the burned in to the screen image?

Yeah, I too remember them… (hee hee!)

2 Likes

Everyone just a gentle prod, while it is nice to answer questions, can we please remember this is the place to Introduce yourself to others and if you have another question, please can you do it in the right place. Thanks, everyone. It stops us Moderators having to move things and being grumpy. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Charlie,
Yeah, those were the ones. And of course back in those days with no wifi, each tube had a hard wire attached to it that had to run all the way back to the controller in the computer room. There were so many wires coming to the controllers that it would form what we called a ‘rat nest’ under the floor.

1 Like