Please introduce yourself

What do you do? Survive

Lol :laughing:

1 Like

Excuse the personal intrusion…
but…
Are you related to Abraham the author/doctor?

Are you related to Abraham the author/doctor?

Why would you ask that?

Hi fellas !

Michael here, from Sweden ! :slightly_smiling_face:

When I´m not “geeking out” in all things linux I work as a graveyard shift prison officer, for the last 6 years or so.
I have been a linux user since around 2005. I did however tried linux for the first time back in 98. It was RedHat 5,6 if memory serves correctly.
But when I first installed Ubuntu 5.10 I was hooked. I have unfortunately, at times been a “filthy dualbooter”, most of the time since I needed the other OS (the one which thay name shall not be spoken) because of work and on occasion gaming, which wasn´t that great in linux back then. But for the last 7 years I have been running linux exclusively on all my riggs, and made the switch completely . Up until early 2018 I have been running some version of the *buntus, mostly Xubuntu. But for a couple of reasons I recently decided to get out of my comfort zone completely, and dip my toes in the Arch-pond. Slowly immersing my self in to it and see where it might lead me. Currently I have Arch on my desktop/workstation and laptop but I’m well on my way to switch to Arch on the rest off my machines here at home.

I have been keeping an eye on “It´s Foss” and reading news and articles for a while (a couple of years at least)…recently I decided it was time to get involved in the community and try to give something back.
I expect to learn from the large pool of knowledge here and at times maybe lending a helping hand, should anyone need it.

4 Likes

Hej Michael!

Welcome to our cosy little café.

Mina

3 Likes

My name is Barry and is a Radio Ham as well, call sign “zs5zk” and reside on the East Coast of South Africa in a town called Hibberdene overlooking the Indian Ocean. Pensioner and started using Linux Mint 20 for about 3 months now after feeling that I don’t own my own PC using Windows OS for a very long time. I Felt like a Microsoft Prisoner with my PC lent to me, but since using Linux Mint, my PC is my own and is very pleased with the ease and speed this OS has blessed me with. And it has a fantastic Desktop and love the Fonts. Very Original and pleasing Ubuntu Linux Mint OS and can suggest it to any newcomer or whoever wants to escape the Microsoft Prison.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community, Barry!

I hope, you find us to be a helpful and friendly bunch.

Mina

1 Like

My exact feeling too and also the reason I felt Win 10. BTW, I also switched over to Linux Mint. Welcome to “It Foss” @Burgert_Potgieter.

2 Likes

I am an old man.

I have quit the Windows habits since Win XP’s death.

In 2014 I have installed Linux Mint (13) Maya on a 4 year old desktop.

It is the wired computer I am writing this on.

Sorry if I did not introduced myself 18 days ago.

It was actually last year.

4 Likes

Hello all.
Live UK. 70 plus
A bit late as I’ve been learning a lot here for 2 years plus. First linux - mate, got to like kde so moved about a bit when mint dropped it. Done opensuse, now settled on manjaro kde. Just want my system to behave and do as it’s told!!
Try not to make stupid suggestions when posting here, but look to see what the experts say after.
Bill

6 Likes

@R_G and @0bill0

Welcome to the forum (again). I hope, you will enjoy our discussions and get one or the other helpful information.

Mina

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Tiffany Lynch. Live in UK, as web developer. Linux user since 2018, using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (in PRoot). I remember following It’s FOSS in 2019, and i joined the community because friendly members and adding more insight about linux. That’s it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Tiffany!

Welcome to our community! I hope you still find us to be friendly people once you start engaging in our little discussions and that you enjoy them as much as I do.

Mina

2 Likes

I will share
I am from Bangalore India. I am using UNIX Linux since 1999. I have worked most of the proprietary distros with global IT firms to name some started from Unixware and SCO Open Server and Redhat Linux 8 and then turned into AIX HP-UX Solaris and RHEL.
I am new to the FOSS community. No expectations just want to see if i can contribute to this community by any means .

2 Likes

With an experience like yours, I don’t doubt it.

Welcome and greetings

Mina

Hey Mina.This is Raj .What a coincidence i am also Mathematician by education M.Sc [Mathematics] and MCA - IT professional by experience in Unix Linux Infrastructure obviously started with Microsoft MSDOS/Cobol like stuff in early day.
Glad to connect .I mean i already started sharing my experience 3 years back in form of how too especially related to all needed for a linux administrator to help new comers or even mid level of experience .
So it exactly mean that if i can answer any users query it should be great in this forum.
Glad to meet you .Let me know in case of any further query.

1 Like

@rsydw Very nice to see a colleague here!

How does a mathematician catch a lion?

As anybody else, she takes the cage into the savanna and waits patiently for the lion to appear.
When she spots the beast, she jumps inside, closes the doors and declares solemnly:

I define: Let here be the outer side!

3 Likes

Do you both know Azat_Miftakhov ?

Only by name and that he’s one of Putin’s victims.

My name is Elroy (Yvon) and I live in Canada (BC); I was born in French Quebec.
I am a retired engineering technologist that worked in electrical product safety and computer equipment troubleshooting and maintenance.
Although I have played with Linux years ago, it’s only recently that I am giving a serious look. My workplace was using the Windows / Microsoft suites.
I installed LXLE and Mint on old computers before installing Ubuntu 20.4 on this recent laptop on which I have dual boot with Windows 10.
Since I am a newbie, my focus is on learning solutions to problems arising during the use and installation of this operating system.

1 Like