Printer for Linux

wow - way to highlight my glaring typo (I meant to type 'favour") :smiley:

1 Like

I was pretty sure, you did, in the first place, but the bait was too good not to take.

1 Like

What is an email printer ?

E.g. somebody who would, in 2013, describe the internet as terra incognita.

2 Likes

So subtle, yet so relatable. Your references are too high level for a majority of the audience I fear… :laughing:

Perhaps people will start to understand once every milk can is connected over 5G…

1 Like

An “Email printer” (Email-Ausdrucker) is literally somebody who would actually print all emails on paper. Metaphorically understood, it means: “somebody, who doesn’t understand technology” (or, how we would say, “lives behind the moon”).

The reference with “terra incognita” refers to Chancellor Merkel, who described the internet with this term in 2013. No surprise, Germany is the country with the slowest internet in the EU. This is the country where fibre optic data transmission was invented in 1965.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this explanation. It´s great to have a solution to our investigation.

Problem with newer HP printers is they have ‘chipped’ ink cartridges and are overly expensive (like $60.00 an ounce?)
Personally, I would never buy another HP but my wife bought what she recognised without asking me. You can’t even re-fill new HP cartridges as the ‘chip’ still says it’s empty so you must have a second cartridge with chip to put in place (it is possible to re-fill and use after swapping but a PITA)
The ONLY good thing I can say about our HP Deskjet, the wi-fi works so it must have a pretty high output transmitter?

Which is specifically why I called out specific one and OLDER ones.

Sorry, didn’t really misunderstand question but wanted to add HP ‘faults’
Ours is probably 4~5 years old but hasn’t had a lot of use due to the ink prices, cartridges tend to dry out before getting used up.
I had a Brother printer but it was probably around 2004, never gave any problems, in fact I’ll dig it out and see if it still works sometime as ink cartridges were very easy to refill (although I may need to find some new ones now?)

HP printers are quite well supported on Linux, even my scanner HP Scanjet 5590 worked properly under Ubunty 18

I’m a happy user with my monochrome Laser Xerox 3325 on Debian. My distro automagically recognize the printer and install the drivers without any interaction from my side. Finally, Xsane does the trick for scanning. Also, I had an old HP OfficeJet 8610 and the HPLIP installer works like a charm for my model.

Recently I’ve replaced this HP OfficeJet by my new Epson EcoTank3700 All-in-one. Instead of using cartridges or toner, this printer uses liquid ink and is really cheap ink; ± $20 for each bottle and the estimation is about 2 years at reasonable print working (I can’t confirm that since I just bought for Christmas at Amzn). Mine was a refurbished product (The packaging was torn, but the printer was still sealed) so, the price was very cheap.

In case you choose any device from this company, you can verify if your is supported officially here. For HP Models, you can verify if your desired printer is supported here (remember; the HPLIP installer is very intuitive!).Finally, if you want to check for any GNU/Linux certified printer models, keep any eye here: Printer List | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

Hope this can help you,
Benny.

1 Like

Well who on earth starts to print out emails?? That’s just s huge waste of paper…

1 Like

I posted this in the wrong way.
Sorry.

I think thee moderators and other users would prefer this

:slight_smile:
For the photo printing, Cannon has my vote. For everything else, almost every printer does the job.
I prefer the printer / scanner type as I scan documents a lot but rarely print photos. (I like putting them up on my big screen instead).
All printers are not made for profit in the unit, but profit is made by exchanging ink / toner / drum.

Please keep the discussion in English only! Thank you.

Hey @Akito what is your favourite colour, sorry printer - just list it - no matter - whatever. :roll_eyes: :wink: use it to jump the list :wink:

Perhaps check if it is okay with…

Stay Safe

I’m considering one of those Epsons with the big ink cartridge. I have a networked old HP laser that I got at a going out of business sale for $25 (used) and we do most our printing on that. For photos, I get them printed at Walgreens for 30 cents. Sure beats getting an expensive printer and having the ink dry up all the time.

Companies don’t make money on the printers, the money is in what goes into the printers, ink, drum, toner, etc.
I suggest getting the one that fits your needs and pocketbook (including the supporting materials listed above). Include refurbished in you search. Yea, I know but, sometimes it’s worth it. My PC of five years now is a refurbished system with a whole lot of fine Swiss watch DNA in it.
I do favor the cannon brand for photo work and the brother for documents.
IMHO.

1 Like

Indeed. Luckily, most aftermarket off-brand supplies of these types are most of the time just as good or even better than the original and they usually cost only a fraction of the price. For example, for the printer I have, I would need to pay 100 bucks for a single colour. But I bought the off-brand one, which cost about 50 bucks for 4 colours!

These prices are so far apart, it’s easy to make a decision which to buy, even if it would hypothetically turn out in slightly lower print quality. I wouldn’t be able to be a slave of the companies for so much, that I would put 100 bucks into their ass for a bit of coloury powder. NO. WAY.

3 Likes