Printing problems with Ubuntu 20.04

Since upgrading from 19.10 to 20.04, I have had problems with printing. I have an HP Envy 5640 all-in one printer scanner attached to my desktop via USB.
When I try to print, the printer is recognised, my document appears in the print queue but it’s status seems to be “processing.”
I have also had notifications that there is a problem connecting to the printer.
I have tried removing and reinstalling the printer to no avail.
CUPS is installed.
HPLIP is installed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried Ctl-Alt-P? After installing 18.04, I had a similar experience, but after using Ctl-Alt-P a few times its back to “normal.”

Hi.

Have you printed on this printer lately?
Just asking.
Maybe you could print a test page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04527091
Second thought: Have you tested with another USB cable?

To all who are having problems with Ubuntu 20.04: Save your data and wipe out the system hard drive. Install 20.04 fresh. Most, if not all, of your problems will be solved if you know how to connect peripheral in Ubuntu. I upgraded from 18.04 on one machine and installed fresh on another. I have had no problems at all on either machine. In fact, they boot up in seconds and shut down in less time than before. Just thought you would like to know.

A post was split to a new topic: Device Communication Problems with HP Printer on Ubuntu 20.04

To all who are having problems with Ubuntu 20.04: Save your data and wipe out the system hard drive. Install 20.04 fresh. Most, if not all, of your problems will be solved if you know how to connect peripheral in Ubuntu. I upgraded from 18.04 on one machine and installed fresh on another. I have had no problems at all on either machine. In fact, they boot up in seconds and shut down in less time than before. Just thought you would like to know.

Really?

That is extreme and a lot of time.

I guess that worked for you.

But really, in 2020? Ubuntu has been around since 2004 or so, 16, SIXTEEN years and they can’t seem to get something as fundamental as printing right. It’s a joke.

People have got lives to lead, life is short, we don’t want to waste time poncing around fiddling with this, trying that package, reinstalling this, and that.

And no, we’re not lazy for not wanting to do that, nor wanting to learn the intricacies of Linux etc. A virtue shouldn’t be made out of complexity.

We just want to print and get on with our lives and do more interesting things. It’s not rocket science.

1 Like

Yes, Really. No, it is not a lot of time. It is better to have a clean install many times, rather than spending hours for troubleshooting an upgrade problem. I have been using Ubuntu since version 14 and except for a few printer connection issues that took a little longer to resolve than I expected, I had no major issues. I have a Canon printer that officially does not LInux driver. Even this printer prints from Linux machine using a driverless ppd, with wireless connection. I have not had any problems with supported peripherals.

I am not casting aspersions on anybody. Just describing my experience. You can take it for whatever it’s worth to you.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Wow. That is precisely what I am preaching to my friend every time. It is the biggest culprit with Linux in general.

That’s how I experience Linux distributions:
You want to do something complicated and custom but don’t need every day life stuff?
Use Linux.

You want to get on with your life and get the job done for absolutely basic tasks, without wanting to do something too complicated or custom?
Use Windows.

Now I have to add a disclaimer, before I’m flamed to death here:
Obviously, I am aware of the security and privacy implications of using Windows. The above situations and examples result purely from a super-pragmatic and utilitarian perspective, which does not include privacy/security concerns as they are not as real, obvious and “touchable” as the ease of use changes between those two.
Additionally, Microshit is a gruesome company, bla bla bla… Yes. But that is also the reason why Windows just works today for stuff everyone needs in their daily lives. So from the perspective of a user who is not so concerned about privacy nor morality, using Windows is often more profitable. Even literally financially more profitable, if you are using it for certain productive tasks.

P.S.:
Using my printer on Windows 10. Works fine after a 10 minute setup (the printer is a business model with tons of functions, so it takes time to configure it properly on first use).
Tried it once on Linux. Printing was absolutely trashed. Did sit on it for 3 minutes, then gave up because of read above reasons about daily stuff ought to just work, without question.

2 Likes

I assume, the “Free as in Freedom” aspect is included there. Therefore I’m fine with it…
:wink: :innocent:

2 Likes

I have upgraded and reinstalled via a disc but I still have the same issue. I am sure its difficult to keep all programs working when upgrading a system but this is part of the basic system, which surely must have been tested before implementing the upgrade. I have been recommending Ubuntu to friends and family as a rock solid alternative to Windows 10 and oops an issue. HP, which is my printer is supposed to be Ubuntu/Linux friendly and has worked out of the box for years. Has anyone a work around???

I once had a similar problem in that the printer I had was Ubuntu unfriendly, so I bought a license to use TurboPrint which sorted the whole situation out perfectly. Perhaps this is a solution when all else fails? It was for me at the time.