Ready for the Switch

when i use clonezilla to create my system backups/images, i use the default settings which i believe include lzma compression. the last time i checked an image size compared to my used space, the image was about 50% smaller.

To tell you the truth, the majority of the stuff I install are on external hard drives as Deb Files. I don’t keep any of my YouTube videos that I make. I backup games through Steam, onto external hard drive. I have over the years made backup copies of my system, but have come to the conclusion, that I don’t really keep anything on my computer that is important enough to worry about, or for the necessity to actually backup everything. People I swear panic and have a obsessive need to keep backing up their computers. What is so important to you? keep photos off of your daily driver and store them else where, like a external hard drive. I have my whole music collection in mp3 format on a 2TB drive, photos stored on there too, Linux OSes galore, notes of Terminal commands and other tweaks.

Yes as the collection of new info to keep comes my way, in the next few years will have to buy another external storage device. It’s that point I’m trying to make, with backing up computers all the time, sooner or later you’re going to have to make backups, of those backups, in order to save room on the storage device you backed the original up on in the first place. Are people that paranoid about security and privacy, that they have to backup everything they do in their waking lives?

1 Like

If you right click on any folder you can compress it, the same as in windows. This is reduce its size and open it when you need to do so. That way you can make disk space, it is that simple.
As @Akito has also pointed out there is more than a probability that you have redundant data, I know I tend to collect it, so you get rid of that, before backing up. I was actually surprised at how much I had and by doing the above I have been able to reduce my data by 75%.
No disrespect, but I think like many who start with Linux, (myself included) you are still thinking Windows and if you are doing that you may never learn or be happy with Linux. Once I stopped doing that I made far greater progress than before. There are still things I come across and need help with, which is why this community and Its Foss can help.

You are right! I forgot about data / how much of the disk was used. I just backup up a 1 TB disk to a 128 gig USB drive. Then again I only 1% of the TB disk was used.

1 Like

I did it. I dual booted my Desktop a couple of days ago. Just need one replacement program. Bye Bye Windows. So much faster on Ubuntu. Wish I would have done this before Windows 10.
Desktop is AMD® Fx™-6300 six-core processor × 6 , 16 gigs of DDR, 2 TB of HD (500 gig for Ubuntu)

3 Likes

which program are you trying to replace?

It is a Ejuice Clac. I think there are Web based one. No deal breaker to me. I could even write it to file over here on Ubuntu.

2 Likes

Made the switch! I do not boot Windows any more except for a couple reasons. I still have dual boot, but only go to Windows maybe once a month.

The 2 reason I boot Windows. To perform a dskchk on a Windows partition that Linux can not wite to. (I have not convert all partitions yet.)
The other reason is to perform a scan on the HP printer. I have not looked up how to perform a scan from Linux.

2 Likes